We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Petra by night. Is it worth?

Bradford
Level Contributor
68 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Petra by night. Is it worth?

I have heard lots of conflicting opinions about Petra by night. Some say that it is absolutley fabulous, and some say it is rubbish. Could anybody say whether it is worth doing? Is it anything like the sound and light show at Karnak temple in Luxor or the Giza pyramids? I didn't particularly enjoy them, though I enjoyed both sites during the day. If it is like that I will give Petra by night a miss.

haysville,kansas
Level Contributor
325 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Petra by night. Is it worth?

I was there in March. I have poor night vision and found the walk in to be unsettleing due to lack of visual and the ancient pavers that have been kept in place surrounded by areas of asphalt. I would recommend a small flash light to help with the luminaries Once you have gone through the Siq you are seated and given a small cup of tea. Two different musicans preformed on Bedouine insturments in the candlelit courtyard of the treasury. If you are one that enjoys absorbing the atmosphere and letting your imagination and spirit fly you can image those sounds through the centuries and feel the vibes of time past. Unfortunately four people sitting next to me did not keep their negative opions to themselves throughout the performance. When it was over the moon had come up enough to be able to see well walking out.

There were no flashing and changing lights like in Egypt.

I recommend if you are going to do Petra by night, do it before you go in during the daylight. Your first impression in the cadlelight is, to me, magical.

Thousand Oaks...
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
12,705 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Petra by night. Is it worth?

I thought it was pretty neat .

If anything, don't limit your visit to the nighttime only. Make sure you see all the grandeur during the daytime too!

Dr. Z

Petra
Level Contributor
3,266 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Petra by night. Is it worth?

I think poster 1 put it perfectly: "If you are one that enjoys absorbing the atmosphere and letting your imagination and spirit fly you can image those sounds through the centuries and feel the vibes of time past."

Unfortunately you are going in as a group so there are always people who don't know when to shut up and others who will try to shut them up by going sssh ssssh which is just as annoying as the talking itself ...

It's normal to get all these different opinions but there is only one way to find out: try it yourself ! All you would lose is 12 JOD and 2 hours of your life ;-)

Enjoy your stay !

Patricia

Amman
Level Contributor
93 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Petra by night. Is it worth?

As a tour guide myself Id never recommend it or push for it, many opinions I have heard, some tourists loves it and some others hates it , some says its okay, so if am asked about it the answer would be Ill leave it to your judgement.

Enjoy your stay in our Jordan!

Amman, Jordan
Level Contributor
177 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Petra by night. Is it worth?

I think it is amazing, do not miss it or at least try it and as Zaak has said you have to judge according to the trial since it is the first time to do it!

London, United...
Level Contributor
44 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Petra by night. Is it worth?

I don't regret doing it, but when we were there we've shared it with something like 400 other tourists. Who wouldn't shut up. It only got quiet after the Beduin started playing. There were 2 musicians who were great. Then there was a bloke doing some storytelling which was rubbish as you couldn't hear much anyway. Then they give you tea and coordinate picture taking.

We were advised to do it before seeing Petra and it was definitely a good advice- you will enjoy it less if you know where you are going. The next day walking through Siq is still a surprise.

Petra,Jordan
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Petra by night. Is it worth?

Now it will not busy tour (no 400 people )

When it is very busy ; it is good to stay in the back of the group (in the way back from the treasury or in the siq), so you feel it more, i think !

Auckland Central...
Level Contributor
54 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Petra by night. Is it worth?

Why not decide when you are there - we were going to do it but we were so tired after Petra by day we gave it a miss -

London, United...
Level Contributor
27 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Petra by night. Is it worth?

I thought it was nice but I think people would benefit more from being told about the instruments before the performances rather than afterwards.

I also thought people using torches on the way to the Treasury spoiled the atmosphere a bit. But I did understand that it's not always an easy walk

I'd recommend it though, it was really serene. And Bedouin tea is delicious

Edited: 12:16 pm, May 21, 2012
10. Re: Petra by night. Is it worth?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:42 pm, June 22, 2013