We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How easy is it to get around w/o a car and Petra guide

Bahrain
Level Contributor
61 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
How easy is it to get around w/o a car and Petra guide

Hi fellow travelers,

Quick question-- how easy is it to get around Petra w/o a car-- are cabs readily available? If you don't want to eat at your hotel, what are the other options?

I am tempted to stay at the Crowne Plaza because it is so close, but it also seems expensive for what you are getting. It also seems confusing because the reviews for seemily all the hotels in Petra are really mixed.

In a semi-related question, do you need a guide for the easier hikes?

Aqaba, Jordan
Level Contributor
2,696 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How easy is it to get around w/o a car and Petra guide

Hi,

Taxis are availabe within the wadi Musa area. If staying at the Crowne Plaza,, you will a Taxi to get back up to Wadi Musa (5 minute drive).

Limited choices for eating out, local fast food, Pizza, etc,, Might want to stick to the Hotels, try not to go for a buffet, as they are overpriced.

As for the Crowne Plaza, I stayed there (again+++) last July for one night and paid $77 USD (that was with breakfasr and tax) for a double room in the extension. It is a friendly hotel, the lobby is pleasent and the view from the pool terrace is nice.

ciao

A99

2. Re: How easy is it to get around w/o a car and Petra guide

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines with regards to the participation of business representatives.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:45 pm, September 16, 2012
Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
730 posts
314 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How easy is it to get around w/o a car and Petra guide

Two weeks ago we stayed at the Crowne Plaza, at $171/night for 2 nights. It was worth it to us beacuse we wanted to be close to the entrance. One night we ate at the hotel, and one night we walked down past Movenpick to one of the small cafes near there. We did not feel like going into Wadi Musa.

Bahrain
Level Contributor
61 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How easy is it to get around w/o a car and Petra guide

Where did you book the Crowne Plaza? I looked on the Crowne Plaza website and with the tax the rate is over 250$--- it is Eid so perhaps that is why the rates are higher, but it seems excessive. The website says that it has the lowest price and the crowne plaza is not listed on www.hotels.com.

Thanks!

Aqaba, Jordan
Level Contributor
2,696 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How easy is it to get around w/o a car and Petra guide

Good evening,

I called them direct, and asked for the special offers.

Prior to calling, I also checked the website, the price was higher.

Let me know if you need advise/help on this.

with regards

A99

6. Re: How easy is it to get around w/o a car and Petra guide

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:21 am, May 07, 2010