We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

9 days in Jordan - Itinerary help needed

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
2,204 posts
184 reviews
Save Topic
9 days in Jordan - Itinerary help needed

Hi,

I am planning to be in Jordan between Dec 19th and 27th and I am thinking about the following itinerary

- Day 1

Lad at 12:30 PM in Amman. Drive to Petra through Desert Hghway (Fastest?). Startexploring Petra

- Day 3

Petra

- Day 4:

Driving to Wadi Rum early morning. Spend day in Wadi Rum. Spend night there eier in Bivouac or hotel.

I would leave early on day 5.

- Day 5,6 and 7: 3 nights along the King Highway

I was thinking spending a night around Karak (or Dana Reserve?) and then 2 nights in Madaba (or by Dead Searesort?)

- Day 8 and 9:

Ammman. Visit Jaresh (if really worth it), either on my way from Madaba early day 8 or in Day 9.

A few questions:

1- Does this itinerary make sense? Any reaso why I should do i in te reverse order?

2- How should I spread y stay along the King Highway. Ideally would like to spend 2 nights (or even the 3) in one place but no a must

3- Do I have enoug time in adi Rum? What is there to do around that time of the year?

4- What are the drving ditances btween

Airport-Petra (Along desert Highway,faste I think)

Petra Wadi-Rum

Wadi Rum Karak (with a visit to Dana)

Karak - Madaba

Madaba-Amma

I am skiping Aquaba as I heard eather can be inpredictible: windy, cold or nice.

Thank you so much for you feedback

Alex

Amman, Jordan
Level Contributor
1,417 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: 9 days in Jordan - Itinerary help needed

Hi Spartac,

Well I would say I full day is enough for most people in Petra unless you are an archaeological

addict. It takes 3 hours to drive to Petra along

the desert highway so you should get there just before dusk (which at this time is about 4.30pm

and could be dark by 5 - 5.30pm. These roads are a bit tricky to drive on in the dark so I wouldn't recommend driving after nightfall in this area especially when you first arrive.

Maybe day 3 spend the day in Wadi Rum stop and

see Shobak castle on the way and camp overnight. Bring plenty of warm clothes as the nights are very cold.

Day 4 - set off early and stop off at Dana Nature

reserve and then continue to Madaba.

Make your base in Madab to see the following :

Karak Castle - Lot's cave - Dead Sea

Baptism site - Mount Nebo - Mukawir

Um ar Rassas - Panorama - Lot's wife

Mujib and many other smaller places of interest.

Madaba Inn or Miriam Hotel are good places to stay.

Madaba is a medium sized market town kind of place

with many historical places of interest, churches etc.

Madab is only 35 minute drive to Amman if you want to

visit the Roman ampitheatre from Madaba. Karak is about a 1.25 drive along the kings highway from Madaba. The Dead Sea anout 30 minutes, Mount Nebo

about 15 minutes, Mukawir about 50 minutes, Baptism

site about 50 minutes (these are maximum times for someone who doesn't know the way)

If you rent a car - you can always play it by ear depending upon the weather. Hotels by the Dead Sea are all 4 and 5 stars and quite expensive ie $150 and up for a night - but lovely hotels. Maybe consider stopping one night there to chill out and relax.

Have a great time.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
2,204 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 9 days in Jordan - Itinerary help needed

Thank you Dhiban, I have some related questions as well

1- Do you know how long is it between Wadi Rum and Madaba? I am planning to take the King's highway on my way back to Amman.

2- Also, if I chose to take in an earlier flight and arrive at 9:30 in Amman, how long it would take me to go from the Airport to Petra via the King's Highway as well.

3- Regarding resorts at the dead sea: do you think it will be swimmable weather (around Dec 25th)? Is it worth it to go there or make it just a day trip?

4- For my last day, I want either to stay in Amman or Madaba. How long will it take me from wither of them to the Airport? I have 2 flights options: 8:30 AM and 10:20 AM. Not sure how the morning trafic will influence this.

Thank you for all the input!

Alex

Amman, Jordan
Level Contributor
1,417 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: 9 days in Jordan - Itinerary help needed

1- Do you know how long is it between Wadi Rum and Madaba? I am planning to take the King's highway on my way back to Amman.

-----------------------

Its a good 3 / 3.5 hours on the King's highway as the roads are a bit windy and narrow towards Mujib area.

--------------------------------------------------

2- Also, if I chose to take in an earlier flight and arrive at 9:30 in Amman, how long it would take me to go from the Airport to Petra via the King's Highway as well.

-------------------------

About the same time 3 - 3.5 hours

------------------------------------------------

3- Regarding resorts at the dead sea: do you think it will be swimmable weather (around Dec 25th)? Is it worth it to go there or make it just a day trip?

--------------------

If I were you I would play it by ear - as the weather can be different from day to day. I have seen people bathing in the Dead Sea in December

--------------------------------------------------

4- For my last day, I want either to stay in Amman or Madaba. How long will it take me from wither of them to the Airport? I have 2 flights options: 8:30 AM and 10:20 AM. Not sure how the morning trafic will influence this.

----------------------

From Madaba to Airport will take you about 30 minutes. From Amman South side - the same time. But if you are in some other parts of Amman you might need 45-60 minutes. Morning traffic isn't that bad.

If it were me I would opt for the 10.20am flight

which means you can have a nice breakfast and then set off about 7.45am to get there for 8.15 or

whatever depending on where you want to stay.

If you go for the 8.30 flight - you will have to be up at 5am !! Unless of course you enjoy early starts and / or need to get home early.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
227 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: 9 days in Jordan - Itinerary help needed

Jerash is definitely a must-see attraction in Jordan. The ruin in Jerash is one of the best-kept Roman ruins in the world. The Gladiator Show in Jerash is worthy too.

Shobak Castle is a pleasant surprise compared with the crusader castles that we visited in Aljoun and Karak.

It is worthwhile to stay in Madaba for a day to visit the mosaic stores, local churches and the Archaeological Park or Museum there. The mosaic in the Church of the Virgin is just amazing. Watch out the tourist trap of a large mosaic shop on the way to Mount Nebo. It charges hundred times more expensive than what you can get in Madaba. In case you are not aware, the Moses Memorial Church in Mount Nebo is closed for renovation and same for Lot's Cave.

Hope you have to time to join Petra by Night when you are in Petra. It runs three times a week now.

If you are interested, you can see some of the photos that we took during our two-week visit back in end April 2008. http://www.pbase.com/andy_k/jordan

greetings from Toronto... wifty

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
2,204 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 9 days in Jordan - Itinerary help needed

Thak you all for the good advice. I am now finalizing my schedule. I will be arriving from Jerusalem to Jordan on Thursday December 25th and staying in either 7 or 8 nights

- 2 nights in Amman

1st day arrive mid PM, explore city

2nd day visit Jaresh (and Salt?) and explore city

- 2 night in Petra

1st day leave Amman around 9AM, and drive to Petra throug King's Highway. Visit Karak, Shoebak and Dana along the way. rrive late at Petra I guess

2nd day visit Petra

- 1 night in Wadi Rum or Aquaba

Leave Petra around 9AM and travel to Wadi Rum. Visit there and either sleep there or in Aquaba

- 2-3 nights in Madaba

Either take an early flight (if sleeping in Aquaba) or drive (if sleeping in in Wadi Rum) through Desert Highway.

1st Day arrive mid PM, stroll Madaba

2nd day Mt Nebo, Baptism Site, and Dead sea.This is the new year's eve night

3rd day optional. If didn't have time to visit Jaresh on the 2nd day when in Amman

a few questions:

1) If I depart Jeusalem around 8-9 AM, when should I arrive in Amman? Not sure if things will be slower or faster because on Thursday December 25th.

2) Is it reasonable to expect to see Jaresh in half a day? Does my itinerary in Amman make sense? Can/should I add Salt?

3) Should I start my visit in Jordan by Amman or Madaba? I tend to g with Amman since I need to arrive there anyways to rent the car. But it means I will probably be spending a vey quiet new year's eve in Madaba instead of Amman:) Not that I really mind.

4) Should I spend 7 or 8 nights? If I spend 7 nights I can add the extra night in Luxor, which I hear has lot going on for it. Forthe moment I have only 2.5 days planned in Luxor if I stay 8 nights in Jordan. And if you recommend 8n nights should I add it in Madaba or somewhere else?

Thank you for you advice!

Alex

New Zealand
Level Contributor
1 post
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 9 days in Jordan - Itinerary help needed

Hi,

We were in Jordan 2 weeks ago. We had 1 night in amman which was more than enough. We did Jerash, which is a must,on our second day then went straight to the Marriott at the dead sea. This is a great resort and very relaxing after Amman. The next morning we headed off down the Kings highway via Mt Nebo, Madaba and Karak to Petra. We had a full amazing day in Petra the next day and stayed again that night. We then went to Wadi Rum which was also great.

Have fun,

Anne

Loango National...
Level Contributor
1 post
109 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 9 days in Jordan - Itinerary help needed

Alex,

Dhiban has got a good itnerary for you but I would say that Jerash and Umm Qais (Roman ruins and fabulous views to the Golan Hieghts and the Sea of Gallilee)are also worthy of a visit. You could do this by dropping some of the minor sites around Madaba and use it as a base to visit Mount Nebo, the Dead Sea (great location for a chill out day at the Movenpick Spa and cheap at JOD 30)and the baptism site.

Amman has really nothing to offer so if you could find a decent 3 star hotel in Ajloun you could visit Jerash, Ajloun Castle and Umm Qais. Even swing round the desert castles (caravan serais) if you have time.

Sorry if I am making the decision making more difficult but there is a lot more to Jordan than just Petra, the Dead Sea and Wadi Rum.

Enjoy your trip

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
2,204 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 9 days in Jordan - Itinerary help needed

Thx for all the advice. I still have some latitude to move things around as my hotels are not booked. So I'll look into it.

Alex

New York, NY
Level Contributor
37 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 9 days in Jordan - Itinerary help needed

Hello,

Since a lot of you are recommending Jerash, it makes me want to pay a visit!

Unfortunately I've already booked everything and now it might be difficult to fit it in. I am going to be in Petra and Wadi Rum 11/30 to 12/2 and Amman 12/3.

Right now I am planning to visit the Dead Sea for a day, stay in Amman for the night and flight out the next day.

So my question is: Is it possible to do Jerash AND Dead Sea in one day?

Thanks!

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
2,204 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 9 days in Jordan - Itinerary help needed

imilar question: Does it make sense to leave Amman around 9AM, drive to Um Quais, spend time there, maybe have lunch at Ajilou, visit Jaresh early afternoon, and be back to Amman around mid-end afternoon?

Or I am better off just visiting Jaresh?

Thx

Alex