We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jordan or Turkey

Which Petra - Wadi Musa hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Houston
Level Contributor
56 posts
Save Topic
Jordan or Turkey

Dear travelers,

I am trying to plan a trip over the holidays with my 16 year old son. I only have about 7 or 8 days and am considering either Istanbul or Jordan (or maybe both, if doable). Any suggestions on which location would be better. Is there enough to see in Jordan besides Petra? My son is very interested in history - but will not want to spend all his time looking at mosques. Can I travel to either place alone and hire guides once there - or is a package tour necessary.

Thank you!

Hucky

Brisbane
Level Contributor
1,561 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Jordan or Turkey

well, as much as I loved the sites of Jordan, given your very short time available and the distances and time involved moving around, I'd go for Istanbul.....

If you do go to Jordan... please don't miss Wadi Rum.... it's very special.

Houston
Level Contributor
56 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Jordan or Turkey

Thank you! The more I read about Jordan the more I am swayed to go there - even though time is tight. I will stay in Madaba the first night as recommended and then to Petra. Can anyone recommend a guide in Petra? I plan on staying two nights there.

Washington DC
Level Contributor
66 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Jordan or Turkey

Personally I think Jordan over Turkey (altho Turkey is fantastic) but Jordan will be a more unique experience.

When in Madaba, must also visit Mkawer (King Herod the Great’s ancient fortress of Machaerus), this is where John the Baptist was beheaded...almost always skipped, its an amazing ruin with brilliant views, perfect for picnics and seeing something special off the beaten path, especially at sunset...

Its about 30kms southwest of Madaba.

In Petra dont miss out on the "High Place of Sacrifice". There are many other places to go to depending on what you are interested in, from Crusader Castles, moonscape landscape of Wadi Rum, Eco-tourism at Wadi Dana, Dead Sea, Jerash etc etc.

Some good websites:

www.visitjordan.com

http://w2go.com/index.php

http://www.kinghussein.gov.jo/tourism.html

http://www.jordanecotours.com/main.htm

Houston
Level Contributor
56 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Jordan or Turkey

Thank you YZ2006!

Do you think I should rent a car, or can I manage pretty well with taxis - I hate to have to worry about finding places.

Washington DC
Level Contributor
66 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Jordan or Turkey

Driving in Jordan is pretty easier, however many prefer not to if they are not used to how people drive around the world, however before deciding on whether to rent, ask your hotel at each spot for transport details....it may or may not be worth renting

I am going next week, and will rent a car, but I've been there before (albeit 7 years ago) and have no qualms navigating any traffic

Richmond, Canada
Level Contributor
4 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Jordan or Turkey

Old Istanbul is really cool but can be easily seen in two days.

We just returned from Jordan (and Italy and Egypt) and we had a great time in Jordan. We saw most, if not all, of the highlights over four days via a private tour provided by Pan East Tours. We had to skip Wadi Rum due to time constrains but it was 40C in the shade there. A car with a driver/guide took us to all the sites and dropped us at great hotels for the night.

We spent about seven hours hiking around Petra and saw pretty much everything. A guide will slow you down so if you get one locally you may want to spend a couple of mornings instead of a full day. If you think you are lost just follow the donkey dung. There is lots of transporation available within Petra. Horses from the gate to the Treasury and donkeys or camels from there on down. Keep some money left (14 Dinar) because you'll want transportation back out at days end. Camels are quicker.

7. Re: Jordan or Turkey

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:18 am, August 21, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Petra - Wadi Musa
More Petra - Wadi Musa Topics