We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lake Titicaca or Amazon during family trip

Brentwood, TN
Level Contributor
22 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Lake Titicaca or Amazon during family trip

For our upcoming trip to Peru in late March, we will see Lima, Cusco and MP for sure. I think our two sons (13 and 15) would enjoy Lake Titicaca and staying with a host family as well as experiencing the jungle/rainforest/Amazon. Unfortunately, we do not have time to do both areas. If you have any comments or thoughts as to one over the other, I would appreciate it. Thanks.

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
9,670 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lake Titicaca or Amazon during family trip

There are rainforests in many countries, but only one Titicaca.

jersey
Level Contributor
1,019 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lake Titicaca or Amazon during family trip

I agree,

Titicaca is a no brainer. Awesome scenery, lot's of potential places to visit. A winner!

London
Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lake Titicaca or Amazon during family trip

I want to go to Peru from London . Have anyone used company called Peru travel plan? I can not find any review.

Rgds

Koki

Lima, Peru
Level Contributor
444 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lake Titicaca or Amazon during family trip

I couldn't disagree anymore with the first two posts. I've lived in Peru for 6 years and been to both Puerto Maldonado and Iquitos several times each. I have also lived in Costa Rica and been to other Rainforest/Jungle areas. Growing up on Lake Michigan I agree Lake Titicaca is absolutely beautiful and totally worth the visit but if you can only visit one of the two and especially if you are going with two teenagers I would choose the Amazon over Lake Titicaca every single time.

jersey
Level Contributor
1,019 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lake Titicaca or Amazon during family trip

Having also spent time in Jungle towns of Ecuador and Peru,I think it depends on what interests people. Given a couple of spare days i think Titicaca offers a great and affordable experience. The Jungle is an expensive side trip from Cuzco.

But each to their own, whatever rocks your boat. It all comes down to choice and money in the end.

Yorktown, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Machu Picchu
Level Contributor
6,146 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Lake Titicaca or Amazon during family trip

KokiLondon,

You should start a separate thread with your question. You will likely get more/better answers that way, instead of tagging onto this unrelated thread. Just click on the "ask a question" box at the top of the Peru forum.

7. Re: Lake Titicaca or Amazon during family trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, February 19, 2014