We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Punta Arenas - Puerto Williams via Ferry Yaghan

Which Puerto Williams hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Ontario
Level Contributor
5 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Punta Arenas - Puerto Williams via Ferry Yaghan

Does anyone have any comments on this 30 hour ferry crossing through the Beagle Channel? Any recommendations of accommodation in Puerto Williams (for 1 night)?

14 replies to this topic
santiago
Level Contributor
710 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Punta Arenas - Puerto Williams via Ferry Yaghan

I did it from PW to PA, nice trip, I like both the rough weather in some channels and also glorious views in clear days, I stayed in Cabo de Hornos Hostel, anyway check for some hostels in this site www.ptowilliams.cl

Ontario
Level Contributor
5 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Punta Arenas - Puerto Williams via Ferry Yaghan

Thank you fernando. Can you tell me, was it warm enough in the cabin for sleeping or would we need a light blanket (we'll be travelling in February).

santiago
Level Contributor
710 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Punta Arenas - Puerto Williams via Ferry Yaghan

I travelled in the old ferry in a sort of berth, the new ferry (as far I know) has two classes of seats in a common cabin, similar to Executive and Economy seats in planes. Heating in these ferries is good, also the crew provide of blankets to passengers

see here

tabsa.cl/portal/index.php/en/services/55-pun…

Ontario
Level Contributor
5 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Punta Arenas - Puerto Williams via Ferry Yaghan

Great, thank you. Transbordadora Austral Broom has informed me that due to a new law, the Pullman seats are reserved only for Puerto Williams´s citizens until 24hs. before the departure. However, the Sofa Bed seats can be reserved 2 months ahead of travel.

Winne2
Level Contributor
89 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Punta Arenas - Puerto Williams via Ferry Yaghan

Based on the published timetable the ferry leaves from PA at 18:00h and from PW at 16:00h. To see the most of the scenery during daylight my question is which way is better: PN to PW or the other way?

los angeles...
Level Contributor
2 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Punta Arenas - Puerto Williams via Ferry Yaghan

Winne2 - Did you get any information on this? Also, the PA to PW, do you think it's always on Thursdays? I am trying to coordinate plans for a trip in the fall and not sure if we should take the ferry one way and flight the other. Our time there is limited, only 10 days so curious to know what dates they might travel into PW so I can plan around that. Unfortunately the schedule only shows two months, currently May and June.

Thanks.

Winne2
Level Contributor
89 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Punta Arenas - Puerto Williams via Ferry Yaghan

Sorry, as you can see I did not receive an answer to my question. Have you tried to contact TABSA and asked for the itinerary in the fall? They do have an English version web site.

Also how would you fly into or out of Puerto Williams??

los angeles...
Level Contributor
2 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Punta Arenas - Puerto Williams via Ferry Yaghan

Thanks! Your note motivated me to call and they did say that generally they keep to Thursdays for departure but she obviously could not guarantee. I'll have to hope it's Thursdays in Nov, book flights around that, and then reserve in Sept!

I wanted combine ferry (which was suggested as a scenic option) with flights b/c they do daily flights into/out of PW which is so much more flexible! The only airline that flies there is dap, website is http://www.aeroviasdap.cl/. I called them last week since website doesn't show fares and they tickets are 143,000 CLP which is roughly $260 USD, I'm pretty sure that was R/T per person.

We are visiting family in PW. I had been thinking flying in and out but they were the ones that suggested we do ferry one way, they said it's worth the 30hrs since it's such a beautiful trip. They also said we could ferry in/fly out or do the inverse, which leads me to believe that it'll be equally as awesome either way. Hope that helps answer your question.

How long are you staying in PW? From what I can gather there aren't that many options for tours and activities starting in PW. I saw some hikes which seem cool but struggling on how to divide my time b/w PA and PW since PA has so many more options. Thanks!

Winne2
Level Contributor
89 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Punta Arenas - Puerto Williams via Ferry Yaghan

Hi,

thanks for the info on the flights to PW.

When we considered using the ferry we had planned to include Buenos Aires in our trip, that is, fly from the USA to BA and on to Ushuaia, then cross over the Beagle channel to PW and continue (or reverse direction). But since the company (Fernandez Campbell) that operated ships between Ushuaia and PW shut down we gave up on that idea and will come into Chile via SCL and return that way.

Victoria, British...
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Punta Arenas - Puerto Williams via Ferry Yaghan

My wife and I will be in Ushuaia in November and then on to Punta Arenas. trying to decide (scenary wise) if the bus is the way to go or go to Puerto Williams and take the ferry to PA? Its a long ferry trip (we are from Victoria in Canada and use ferries all the time) so also are considering flying from PW to PA. Also, any good places to doss down for a night in PW? We are backpacking so just need a roof over our head in PW for 1 night. Thanks. Ronan

Reply to: Punta Arenas - Puerto Williams via Ferry Yaghan
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Puerto Williams