We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beaches compared to Cuba

Which Bavaro hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Glasgow, Scotland
Level Contributor
328 posts
73 reviews
Save Topic
Beaches compared to Cuba

Hi, we are thinking of the Dom Rep (specifically the Grand Bahia Príncipe) for a two week vacation next May. We are beach people and have been to the Cayos in Cuba a few times (Cayo Coco, Cayo Guilermo and Cayo Santa Maria) where the beaches are wonderful. Beaches look great in Bavaro as well but was just wondering if anyone has been both to Cuba and Bavaro and how they would compare the beach/calmness of the sea, etc! Thanks in advance

Windsor, Canada
Level Contributor
60 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Beaches compared to Cuba

weve been to both and cayo coco far outweighs those we have seen in DR. not even close in my opinion.

Vancouver Island...
Level Contributor
1,673 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Beaches compared to Cuba

You can walk the beaches in Cuba without someone trying to sell you timeshares or bothering you.

You can walk the beaches 24 hours a day in Cuba with the feeling of being totally safe.

The food in Cuba is fine unless you crave fast food, donuts ,grease, and don't use utensils or don't exhale until you finish your meal .

Edited: 1:59 am, November 14, 2013
Glasgow, Scotland
Level Contributor
328 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Beaches compared to Cuba

Kinda sorry I asked now!! Totally torn now between Cuba for the beaches or Dom Rep for a slightly higher standard of food/accomodation

Windsor, Canada
Level Contributor
60 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Beaches compared to Cuba

accommodations aren't much better either. we just came back from dreams punta cana and frankly the rooms at tryp cayo coco were comparable. they use different rating all over the place there no real ideal it seems. they list dcp as a 5-6, its more like a 4. as is tryp. the only thing we preferred was the food in PC and it really wasn't much better, nor was the food bad at either place. if you want a beautiful beach, no crowds, and a laid back vacation i'd be going to cayo coco cuba.

Toronto
Level Contributor
63 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Beaches compared to Cuba

Hi Reido,

I have been to Cayo Santa Maria, and Varadaro several times, and Punta Cana many more times. They are very different beaches and waters, Cayo Santa Maria is stunning beautiful powdery sand and very calm waters, fantastic snorkeling. Punta Cana, Bavaro Beach is a long broad beach of white sand, no matter were we have stayed have not found calm waters as in Cayo Santa Maria, nor the ability to snorkel and see much of anything. It is a stunning beach that you can walk for miles, the beach at the Ambar which is part if the Bahia Complex is not how Amy describes it, we have been a couple of times and it is fine. Varadaro beach is white sand lots of shells not that broad, but does have the calmness and also some great snorkeling more than you would see in Punta Cana.

That's how I see these beaches, and you really should visit Punta Cana Bavaro beach at least once it is beautiful.

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
2,639 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: Beaches compared to Cuba

Haven't been to Punta Cana but may go this Winter...I know from what my friends tell me that have been to Punta Cana that the beach I stayed on in Cuba would win every time...Cayo Guillermo and at the end of it Playa pilar......wow...wow...wow...baby powder white sand...crystal crystal clear water and calm calm calm....goofy hotels on Cayo Guillermo though...I'd go back there in a heart beat if there was a true 5 star on one of those Cayos in Cuba...maybe some day Cuba will open up more and will have better quality resorts.

NBF
Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
867 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: Beaches compared to Cuba

Just rating the beaches is sort of a narrow focus but if you consider all aspects of the vacation package in my opinion the DR wins hands down. After being to Punta Cana I would never return to Cuba, but to each his own.

28. Re: Beaches compared to Cuba

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, November 17, 2014