We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do you feel comfortable leaving EVERYTHING in room's SAFE?

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
277 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Do you feel comfortable leaving EVERYTHING in room's SAFE?

We are staying at the NOW Larimar and I realize they have electronic safes in the room which probably goes for the majority of resorts there anyhow.

Yet proceeding on the side of caution, is there anything you would still NOT feel comfortable leaving IN the safe and instead rather keep it on your person or besides you at all times?

Jamestown, New York
Level Contributor
116 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
61. Re: Do you feel comfortable leaving EVERYTHING in room's SAFE?

in the 3 time we have gone to Punta cana, we have never had anything take from our room but friends that have gone have had things taken from room ( money that wasn't in safe, was hidden in bags inside of bags inside of bags and baseball hats). but my question without reading all the posts to see, where are some places you can hide money in rooms that would be safe? i figure no money is safe because if they want it they will find it. i worry about this every time we go and try to think ahead. my idea is taking duct tape and taping an envelope to slat on the bed or the frame. any out of the ordinary places you can help with would be nice thanks

Paisley, United...
Level Contributor
993 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
62. Re: Do you feel comfortable leaving EVERYTHING in room's SAFE?

i always use the safe never had a problem , and like most people dont take anything expensive .. cheap jewellery can be so much more fun and it doesnt matter if its lost

Cornwall, Canada
Level Contributor
4,007 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
63. Re: Do you feel comfortable leaving EVERYTHING in room's SAFE?

As we have felt quite comfortable using the safe, I have never attempted this, but I have heard some "good ones" regarding where/how to hide money - certainly not fool proof, and the safe is probably your best bet other than carrying it all with you, but I thought these were interesting, to say the least :)

~ While this takes a bit of prep, I had a friend who took the cotton part out of a few cardboard tampon applicators, rolled her money into them, slid them back into the paper wrappers, and kept these "secret" tampons right in the box with the rest - box in the pocket of her suitcase

~ rolled up money in travel toothbrush cases, left in pocket of suitcase, toothbrushes left on the counter

~ money in a noticeably dirty sock in a bag with other soiled clothes in suitcase

~ same idea as above but with that fake "poopy" underwear you can buy at gag gift stores, sitting at top of bag

~ a white prescription bottle (with prescription) from a prescribed diaper rash cream - cleaned out, money in that and left in suitcase

There's more I can't remember, but these came up in conversation with friends, after one of them had gone with the tampon idea for some of her cash, after her trip to PC two years ago - and no, she did not experience any theft. Of course, that could just be because she was another one of the many, many people who do not experience any such incident while on holiday there :)

Chicago Burb
Level Contributor
1,014 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
64. Re: Do you feel comfortable leaving EVERYTHING in room's SAFE?

Wow. Glad I had a bowl of popcorn. What a story!

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
6,405 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
65. Re: Do you feel comfortable leaving EVERYTHING in room's SAFE?

If you have yet another bowl of popcorn, try reading her review, the story is still changing. I suspect this is a very troubled woman, probably under influence of many drinks, and most sadly, with an abusive husband. What actually happened will never be known, as I doubt she even knows.

I also find the value of the supposedly missing items to be questionable, probably to back up a fraud (insurance claim).

Belleville, Canada
Level Contributor
2,233 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
66. Re: Do you feel comfortable leaving EVERYTHING in room's SAFE?

Ok.......I have read everything, and "I" think that I may be under the influence of something because I don't get it! When you have to keep reading the same thing over to try and figure out what is being said, it's time to stop reading.....I have been really really mad at my husband at times during our 29 years of marriage, but I don't think that I would ever let a night go by (especially in a foreign country) that I didn't know where he was?

Still scratching my head over this one. If this is true, it's crazy!

Providence, Rhode...
Level Contributor
1,374 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
67. Re: Do you feel comfortable leaving EVERYTHING in room's SAFE?

In eight years of staying at different resorts in Punta Cana, have always felt safe in keeping all money, and valuables in the room safe. Never had any problem or loss, and would rather keep it that way, then trying to stash money, jewelry, and other valuable items, somewhere in the room. Just make sure before you leave your room to double check to make very sure your room safe is very LOCKED !

Cornwall, Canada
Level Contributor
4,007 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
68. Re: Do you feel comfortable leaving EVERYTHING in room's SAFE?

I thought too it may have been an insurance scam (must have been quite the ring) but wouldn't anyone attempting this, know that they'd need a police report to enter the claim??

And I agree Vicki - even with my ex and his addictions, I'd worry, trying to figure out where he was all night, and that was in our home town.

Too many holes - chalk it up to an "X File", LOL..

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
9,090 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
69. Re: Do you feel comfortable leaving EVERYTHING in room's SAFE?

I was thinking it possible the woman lost the ring and was terrified the husband would assault her because of that so she concocted her story. I guess we can speculate all we want. We'll never know the truth.

Cornwall, Canada
Level Contributor
4,007 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
70. Re: Do you feel comfortable leaving EVERYTHING in room's SAFE?

I responded on the other thread, along the same lines marg...very possible, for sure. Would make sense why she didn't report being struck in her review....