We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Olympic hockey, guitar strings and tequila.

Which Sosua hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Victoria, British...
Level Contributor
137 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Olympic hockey, guitar strings and tequila.

I know, I know, quite a thread title but though instead of three different threads one would do.

While I'm not interested in spending all my time in the DR in a dingy tavern watching hockey I would enjoy joining some travellers and expats in watching a gold medal game featuring, hopefully, Canada and USA. Would there be a spot in Sosua that you folks think people will gather to watch a big game like this?

Strings. On past trips to Cuba I have brought strings down to give to street performers as they had a real hard time getting new ones for their guitars. Does anyone know if strings are hard to come by for the locals in the Sosua area? Would bringing a few packages to hand out be appreciated as a special gift?

Lastly, I know rum is the drink of choice for many in the DR but I like a nice shot or two of tequila once in a while too. Is there much, decent, tequila available there or should I bring a bottle in with me. If I need to bring it in will the duty free in Newark NJ. have some good choices? Are we allowed to bring booze in?

Thanks for the answers.

Silver Spring...
Destination Expert
for Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
7,853 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Olympic hockey, guitar strings and tequila.

Hockey, Brittania Pub and/or Rockys in Sosua.

Strings, sure. I wouldn't even know where to buy them here. The musicians on the Beach (Playa Sosua) play Classical Guitars and not steel strings.

Tequila is available. You can bring two bottles in on duty free. That would be your best bet. Super Super in Sosua would have a few choices as well.

Victoria, British...
Level Contributor
137 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Olympic hockey, guitar strings and tequila.

RV,

Thanks for the info. The first time I took strings to Cuba I wasn't thinking and I took steel strings. I'll pick up a few sets of nylon strings to give away.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
195 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Olympic hockey, guitar strings and tequila.

That about sums it up.

We used to go to Coach's Corner sports bar (yes, seriously), across from the Britannia Pub. I don't know if that will be open this year. I'll have to ask Ray, the owner of the Brit (go there during your visit. It's a great place). There are other places to watch hockey as well. Just ask around.

Strings.....the guitar players on Playa Sosua, for sure.

Tequila.....Super Super Liquor Store, further down on Pedro Clisante, has two or three different brands, however, if you have a preference perhaps it is better to get a couple of bottles in Newark.

Ottawa Canada
Level Contributor
243 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Olympic hockey, guitar strings and tequila.

Watching hockey on TV while in Sosua sounds amazing ! It would only be better if we were on the beach while watching hockey .... should I bring a really long extension cord ?

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
195 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Olympic hockey, guitar strings and tequila.

Freezin'

That's quite possible, as well. Last year we went on a day-trip/evening trip to Cabarate, and sat outside on the beach to eat, while watching a big screen showing a hockey game......it was great!

Victoria, British...
Level Contributor
137 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Olympic hockey, guitar strings and tequila.

Starting to sound like I should be bringing a team canada jersey.......

Our friend who owns a condo in Sosua goes to Rocky's a lot so that might be where we go to watch a game.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
195 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Olympic hockey, guitar strings and tequila.

Rocky's is an excellent choice. For sure, bring your Team Canada shirt..........maybe a T-shirt rather than a jersey though. Ha. The nights are warm! Thanks for the reminder about the Team Canada shirts......gotta go get two.

Silver Spring...
Destination Expert
for Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
7,853 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Olympic hockey, guitar strings and tequila.

There are a few bars on the beach that may have the games on as they have access to cable.

And definitley in Cabarete.

Edited: 9:44 am, January 07, 2014
Ottawa Canada
Level Contributor
243 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Olympic hockey, guitar strings and tequila.

I'm up for meeting at a bar in Sosua to watch hockey !

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
195 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Olympic hockey, guitar strings and tequila.

Well guys, I guess it's safe to say that there's a high probability that we will all meet up when there.......just look for a hockey game and shout out our TA names. Ha.

Get answers to your questions about Sosua