We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Banks for US$ to Peso Exchange

Which Sosua hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sault Ste. Marie...
6 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Banks for US$ to Peso Exchange

I have seen many times people recommending to use ATM's to get pesos and the 120 peso fee plus your own bank fees. Can you walk into a bank and get a fair exchange rate US$ to Pesos.

Which banks in Puerta Plata and Sosua?

Exchange Rates online?

Thank you in advance.

Silver Spring...
Destination Expert
for Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
7,667 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Banks for US$ to Peso Exchange

Yes, almost any bank will change USD into Pesos. At some you will find a long line, Banco Popular for, example. The rates are competitive and change daily obviously.

Your best bet and most convenient is to exchange at Caribe Express in Charamicos and/or Cabarete or at Western Union in PP or Sosua. They tend to give the better exchange rates. Most of the other casa de cambios are close to competitive in the rates they give but as I said I use Caribe Express mostly as the rate is good and no long lines.

Sosua, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Plata, Sosua, Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
16,934 posts
221 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Banks for US$ to Peso Exchange

RV is giving you some good places in the Sosua/Cabarete area (best is Caribe tours)

We use Banco Santa Cruz in Sosua which has the best bank rates around. You will need your passport at a bank and sometimes at Caribe tours depending on the person behind the glass.

BObK

Hollywood, Florida
Level Contributor
155 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Banks for US$ to Peso Exchange

I always use the little "exchange hut" next to El Flow. You might get a 1/2 peso or peso less but there is never a line. You're in and out within 30 seconds. An added advantage is that they're open till 2am. I don't like to walk around with my passport, once I get in my room I store it in my safe. The little "huts" are just more convinent that I think it's worth a slighty less exchange rate.

Silver Spring...
Destination Expert
for Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
7,667 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Banks for US$ to Peso Exchange

Also on the main street Pedro Clisante you will find a Scotia Bank ATM which does not charge the 120 RD bank fee (yet?).

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
25 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Banks for US$ to Peso Exchange

My last trip I got the best rate at the Western Union.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
195 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Banks for US$ to Peso Exchange

Adam,

We always use ATMs when in DR.....key in the amount you want in pesos. You can print off an exchange guide on the DR1 (?) site, or one of the many currency exchange sites just before you leave. I find it makes it much easier when withdrawing, as well as for shopping, etc. . I always carry one of these little cards with me.....so convenient when getting used to the Dominican currency.

7. Re: Banks for US$ to Peso Exchange

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, March 23, 2014