We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need help for a safe trip

Which Sosua hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Edmonton, Canada
3 posts
Save Topic
Need help for a safe trip

I'm planning on staying a month in Sosua, probably July. Never stayed out of Canada for that long. I'm thinking about staying at Tropix hotel, they have excellent review. Any tips would be very appreciated !!! What to bring, how to save money, vaccine, anything. Is there something i should know about crossing borders ? What would you pack in your luggage if you were going ? I know the weather will be hot but is there activities i can do without sweating too much ? Best quality price restaurants ? Everything you can tell me will be really appreciated !!! Thanks !!!

Hollywood, Florida
Level Contributor
155 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need help for a safe trip

I looked into staying at Tropix but, I noticed they don't have TVs! So we booked elsewhere. Canadians like Americans don't need any special visa, you're passport will do. Nor will you require any vaccines. Hot is an understatement! It is soooo darn hot! I have never taken anything other than: shorts, t-shirts, and sandals with me to the DR. I'm afraid there aren't many activities you can do where you won't be sweating. Most places don't have AC. Do bring insect repellant!! You can bring money with you or withdraw from the ATMs down there. I always bring my money and exchange it down there. Always exchange your money for Pesos. You get far better rates. I find it much easier to keep track of my money with pesos.

Sosus is a safe place. I've never felt unsafe, however, i never put myself in dangerous situations. Just use basic common sense. Have fun.

Sosua, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Plata, Sosua, Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
17,177 posts
222 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need help for a safe trip

spikesegal has given you some good advice. Yes July is hot and usually a pretty dry month.

Do spend some time on the main beach in Sosua which is lined with shops, bar and restaurants.

Also take a day or two and go to Cabarete beach again with bars, shops and restaurants. Here you can have dinner with your toes in the sand and the music starts after dinner hour with the party going on to the wee hours of the morning.

Some restaurants to try in town: Orchidee, Baileys, Britania, Coach's corner bar on Fri night for live rock and roll, Casa Valaria, Cafe Cubano, jolly rodger just to name a few

Do notify your home bank of your travel plans or they will put a hold on your ATM or Credit card with the first use fearing fraud

Have a great time.

BObK

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
9 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need help for a safe trip

Bring your Dominician Bachata with you ;-)

Leeds, Engalnd
Level Contributor
2,867 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need help for a safe trip

hey

when i n july are you gonna be there ???? ....i'm heading there 23rd june- 7th July ...thought if our paths are gonna cross then maybe we could hook up for a few beers :-)

Salmon Arm, Canada
Level Contributor
1,758 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Need help for a safe trip

Valerie.... you said it will be your first trip, that long out of Canada. Have you been to the DR yet? I would love to do a month myself but if it is your first trip a month may be a long time.

Mike :)

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
195 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need help for a safe trip

Valerie,

I've sent you a message. Check your PMs.

Edmonton, Canada
3 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Need help for a safe trip

Hi everyone,

yes i have been to sosua for a week in January but i stayed at Casa Marina, i don't think it will be the same staying in the city.

Ana-maria i will be very happy to have a beer with you if we are in sosua at the same time. I haven't book yet because i am still undecided. I don't like when the weather is too hot and i'm afraid that's gonna be the issue there !

Thanks for the advises, i will take note of every one of them !

The other thing that make me hesitate is the fact that the meals are not include. The flight tickets are expensive, the hotel is giving me a fair price for a month but the food is not include which mean that's more money. I'm trying to budget my trip and i don't like the idea of going there without knowing if i'm gonna come back broke ...

Again, a big thank you to every reply, i really appreciate it !!!

Leeds, Engalnd
Level Contributor
2,867 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Need help for a safe trip

hey hey keep in touch and let me know if ya gonna be about, i'm staying at the Casa Marina so i'll be pretty central :-)

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
195 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Need help for a safe trip

Another option would be to rent a studio or condo for a month....then you can either cook a little for yourself, or bring in provisions from either the supermarket or takeouts and keep in the fridge. Once there for a week or so you'll easily find out where to go for the specials, etc.....99 cent happy hour specials at Britannia, for example. You can find a rental for a very reasonable price.

10. Re: Need help for a safe trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, March 23, 2014