We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Want to meet real less priviledged Dominicans.

Which Sosua hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
19 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Want to meet real less priviledged Dominicans.

On my next trip to Cabarete/Sosua/Puerta Plata, I will like to visit areas where I can meet real Dominicans, especially the less priviledged ones. I have a few things that I will like to give to people who genuinely need them( clothes, shoes, pens for school children etc). How and where do I find these people? The Dominicans I see in Sosua/ Cabarete do not look less priviledged to me.

I guess Bob K and Brooklyn Fly Guy will have a lot to say on this.

All suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks.

Sosua, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Plata, Sosua, Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
17,177 posts
222 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Want to meet real less priviledged Dominicans.

I answered your other post.

You might also want to take a trip up to Monkey Jungle www.monkeyjungledr.com on a Saturday and volunteer at the free medical and dental clinic that serves the very pool local population

BObK

Silver Spring...
Destination Expert
for Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
7,832 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Want to meet real less priviledged Dominicans.

The people who are serving you at lunch or dinner or at the store are all "less priviledged" than many. They work for between 5,000 and 8500 pesos per month. They at least have jobs. The poorer who don't work are usually at home or hanging out in the shade with Domino boards or are washing clothes by hand in the river. Poverty takes many forms here but as you go around town you will see many who do not appear to be poor but are. They are clean and work and respectful of others.

Most families are large and tend to look out for their own. To get a true sense of this you would need to get out into the neighborhoods. The poorest of the poor are often the Haitian laborers cutting Sugar Cane. They are paid a pittance yet they are still better off than in their home country in many ways. The more time you spend here the more you can get an understanding of the complexities of the poverty here.

Sosua, Dominican...
Level Contributor
108 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Want to meet real less priviledged Dominicans.

There`s a place called Mustard Seed on the way to Puerto Plata, that takes care of abandoned children with special needs. It breaks the heart to see the children, because many have brain problems and need total care. See this:

www.mustardseed.com/site/PageServer…

england
Level Contributor
5,648 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Want to meet real less priviledged Dominicans.

There used to be an Orphanage by the Baseball Stadium.. Sorry it's been a while since I was there & can't remember what it's called or even if it's still there..

Maybe Bob can shed some light on it..

Sparky

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,756 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Want to meet real less priviledged Dominicans.

Agree with RV429 you need time to see the complexities of poverty in the DR. At least you don;t see homelessness to the degree you would in west - many Domnicans developed survival strategies. Do you also do this in Dallas /the States - poverty exists there as well.

Punta Cana...
Level Contributor
12,903 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Want to meet real less priviledged Dominicans.

Spot on Domingo....survival strategies. I have often said that when someone taps into the international power grids and shuts down the world for a couple days...those back in the "modern" world will be hanging themselves and living in panic...simply because they have never had to live without the conveniences. Here, it is an everyday occurrence outside of a few localities.

RV is correct as well. Many that provide a service for you, wearing black pants and white pressed shirts are not living high on the hog. When you think of an employee down this way in Punta Cana...many have migrated from the north coast in search of work...leaving their kids and family behind. Average wage...$250-$300. Take from that the cost of bus fare to get back home 2 times a month to see their kids and you take around $100 away from that income. Seldom do you see a person sleeping in the street as you might (will) in the modern world. In this country, the family and community tends to look after their own...no matter what the reason.

As Both Domingo and RV mentioned, it takes time to understand the way things work here....some of it makes sense...some of it baffles the mind! LOL

I disagree with you a bit though Domingo, in the fact that when you mention about support in your local schools and communities. The difference is...there IS support back home for most schools and individuals back home...if they choose.

Here...there is not (aside from the bit of improvement over the past month for election votes) and some of us who live here do give a crap about the future of education in this country and do what we can to encourage development and provide the opportunities for a better standard of education in this country, which to this time, has been a major stumbling point in the development of the country on a world level...which it must become if it is to survive the globalization of the world.

I think we are on the same page that this country has a majority of poor people, with a very small middle class and a small but very wealthy upper class. Without support of education...the middle class (the most important if this country is to grow), will likely remain the poorer class, doing menial jobs for a pittance.

Cheers

PCMike

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
19 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Want to meet real less priviledged Dominicans.

Hi DomingoUk.

Thanks for weighing in on the questions I asked in this post. In response to your question, I strongly disagree that poverty exists anywhere in the United States. To put it differently, those who have come to some unfortunate situation are adequately taken care of through various social programs. Having travelled to several places around the world, it is only in the United States that people who claim to be poor own cars, live in comfortable apartments, own televisions, fridges, washing machines, wear designer clothes and shoes, travel by air whenever they want, are fat, eat at least three square meals every day, have access to the best medical care in the world for free, have multiple children who go to good schools for free!! It is only in the United States where the so called poor people are totally dependent on the government from birth to death with no desire to work or improve themselves. These people produce their entire lives on welfare, not because they have no choices, but because their standard of living is middle class in many countries of the world. In the United States, if you desire to succeed, no matter your background or disadvantages of birth, systems have been put in place to help you succeed. This is not the case in D.R. and many countries of the world where the resources of the state are used only to cater to those who have the priviledge to run the state, their families and croonies. This explains why great people like Oprah Whinfrey do their charity work outside the United States, where people are genuinely poor and have no advantages whatsoever!! I totally agree with this.

soo ontario
Level Contributor
313 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Want to meet real less priviledged Dominicans.

I have been to this wonderful country many many times. Why I keep going back is because of the people. Yes the weather but mostly the people. I live in a city of about 70,000 people we are not rich but middle class. Since I started traveling to the DR. I have learned that we don't need all that extra stuff..I see people in the DR. with very little. The difference is their stuff does not mean as much a family and friends. They share what little they have and think nothing of it. They can have a party in a blink of an eye. Here we need to plan everything. I take all kinds of things when I go...Clothes, books, baseballs and gloves. I see small children and I take them for lunch. So I guess my point is. We need more people to come to the Puerto Plata area. With you and I and others spending our money we provide jobs for many people.

Cabarete, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Cabarete
Level Contributor
41,188 posts
244 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Want to meet real less priviledged Dominicans.

kantana,

You need to get out of Dallas. Have you ever been, for example, to San Francisco? Haven't you seen the sheer number of people living in boxes on the streets? Yes, they are Americans and many are vets.

Living in a bubble

Silvia

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,756 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Want to meet real less priviledged Dominicans.

Interesting response Kantana - I think the situation is more complex than that or are you a correspondent for Fox News!

I remember been told by a Peace Corp in the Cibao that poverty was considerably worse in Louisana than Salcedo. Maybe there is an opportunity to organise Monster Truck Safaris there (Louisiana )?