We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safe to leave items on beach while swimming at Sosua Beach?

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
35 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Safe to leave items on beach while swimming at Sosua Beach?

Just wondering if I go swimming at Sosua Beach if it will be safe to leave my personal items on the beach while I am swimming in the ocean? Just wondering because I don't want my seeing glasses stolen. It would be hard to see if they were and hard to replace in Sosua.

Mentioned in this post
Sosua Beach
Sosua Beach
1,454 Reviews
Dominican Republic
Sosua
Sosua
Dominican Republic
New York City
Level Contributor
3,594 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Safe to leave items on beach while swimming at Sosua Beach?

Hola SMB736!

No need to worry... Ya know the dudes that rented you that comfortable chair and umbrella you've been relaxing on and under? You know 'em well by now ... those hard working guys who with a simple wave of your hand brought you yet another ice-cold, napkin-skirted Presidente or fresh fried seafood? Well, these same guys who've been watching over you, will be more than happy to watch over your belongings while you leisurely and without a care in the mundo, dip your head under the cool and gentle waves of lovely Playa Sosua!

Buen viaje! :-)

Mentioned in this post
Sosua
Sosua
Dominican Republic
Sosua, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Plata, Sosua, Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
18,131 posts
300 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Safe to leave items on beach while swimming at Sosua Beach?

While BFG is correct I would still not leave things like my phone, wallet, notepad or nook out in plain sight. Put them in a beach bag under your towel while in the water. Yes the chair guys watch but cannot be watching all teh time.

Your glasses should be just fine. However having said that when I travel I always bring a spare pair .... just in case

BObK

New York City
Level Contributor
3,594 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Safe to leave items on beach while swimming at Sosua Beach?

Excellent point, BobK! I agree ... as a general rule, I don't bring things to the beach - any beach, anywhere - that I cannot afford to lose. I always carry a bag and as noted, when I'm in the water, it's hidden from view.

Antwerp, Belgium
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Safe to leave items on beach while swimming at Sosua Beach?

just play it safe and put your belongings in the safe-keeping of the bar you are renting the chairs from... otherwise they are up for grabs

Sosua, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Plata, Sosua, Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
18,131 posts
300 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Safe to leave items on beach while swimming at Sosua Beach?

Many of the bars don't want the responsibility of keeping your things behind the bar.

Again theft on the beach is rare but dont' leave things out in plain site, also don't carry lots of cash or CC with you to the beach. I usually bring just a few more pesos then I plan on spending.

BObK

6. Re: Safe to leave items on beach while swimming at Sosua Beach?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline with regards to harassment of another user. We will remove messages that include personal attacks or hostility directed at an individual user or group of users, threatening language or attempts to force a user to discontinue participation on our forums.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:14 am, January 28, 2012
7. Re: Safe to leave items on beach while swimming at Sosua Beach?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:24 am, March 07, 2013