We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Heading to Sousa in two weeks.. first timers..

Which Sosua hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Pennsylvania
12 posts
Save Topic
Heading to Sousa in two weeks.. first timers..

Our family decided to try Sousa for a family vacation this year and we will be there for about 10 days, leaving in two weeks.. I had a few questions.. Are you allowed to bring food from the US into DR? I'm talking boxes of snacks and things (granola bars, stuff like that)? I don't want to pack them if they will tossed once we get there? I know about not drinking the water and we are staying in a condo but not at a resort so will get bottled water, but what about ordering food at some of the beaches we go too.. Is that something we need to watch for? Any good places in Sosua to eat a good dinner or lunch that is family friendly.. And any places that are a must to see.. We have two boys 13 and 15.. We hope to maybe do the waterfalls, whitewater rafting and maybe the dune buggys.. We will have a car for about 5 days so hope to see some of the island while there and get to some other beaches to snorkel.. Any ideas or information would be greatly appreciated.. Thanks!

Silver Spring...
Destination Expert
for Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
7,831 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Heading to Sousa in two weeks.. first timers..

You packed a lot into one. The rules for what you can bring are similar to the U.S. You cannot bring fruits, veggie, meat, etc. Granola snacks and stuff are fine but you can buy all of that at the Playero Supermarket in Sosua which is on the road as you enter the El Batey section of Sosua where you no doubt are staying. They won't be tossed.

The main beach Playa Sosua is awesome, it is lined with about 200 colorful huts, called casetas which sell everything under the sun. The food variety is good and meets all tastes. There are glass boats and snorkel, diving and all that stuff and a fabulous beach with shade. I go to Caseta #180 for many years and the lady Miguelina is just great and serves food and the best Pina Colada anywhere. A great burger is at a Norwiegian caseta about #160, Tom makes a good one.

I'm not sure about the waterfalls being safe? Another must see beach is at Cabarete.

Driving: Be Careful Careful Careful. Motorcycles will do unbelievable things and you MUST take out Full Insurance! Always use seat belts as the green uniformed police will harass you. Sosua is 5 minutes to the airport so driving is really not needed.

Dinner is easy, Maura Mai, Waterfront (we go there for all birthdays), Orchida, and P.J's has a good Denny's type menu, the evening busgirl/dishwasher is my best friend.

For excursions and things to do in Puerto Plata city you might want to hear from Angie, I haven't done any in so long, I just sit at the beach with my 9 kids and Pina Coladas.

Edited: 12:58 pm, June 09, 2011
Pennsylvania
12 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Heading to Sousa in two weeks.. first timers..

I'd be happy just sitting at the beach and drinking Pina Coladas.. Can't wait to do that.. Thanks for the ideas.. We try to travel light and thought to fill the bags with some additional snacks for the kids.. They eat all the time!! If you have 9 kids then you know..lol We do plan on hitting the grocery store as soon as we get there for things.. We are staying at the Blue Bayou in Sousa which is a condo unit.. I'm just anxious to get out of the States for a few days! Thanks for your reply!

Silver Spring...
Destination Expert
for Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
7,831 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Heading to Sousa in two weeks.. first timers..

Welcome, it's hotter here today in D.C. than in the D.R.

The supermarket Playero right there in Sosua has all the muchies you'll need and some they've never had. Be sure to try the Pina Colada at Caseta 180. Enjoy.

Sosua, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Plata, Sosua, Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
17,176 posts
222 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Heading to Sousa in two weeks.. first timers..

Yes you can bring in snacks but will find most of them at the Playero (but mroe expensive, There are two Playeros in town. One on the main high way at the traffic light. This is the bigger one of the two and if you are taking a cab from the airport have him stop here for shopping. A smaller one is two blocks from your condo and has almost everything except fresh deli section.

Drink ONLY bottled water (even brush your teeth with it) your tap water in sosua IS NOT drinkable. All ice and any foods you get in restaurants are made with purified water so you should not have a problem.

As too food all of these are with in walking distance from your condo:

Orchidee - good food and very reasonable

Mauri Mi - food varies and more expensive

Waterfront - again food varies and very expensisve

Britania pub - good food and reasonable

Cafe Cubano - good food, great sandwhches and the best burger in town as well as the biggest walk in humidor in town so if you want some cigars this is the place.

la Costeria - bit of a walk but good food, reasonable prices and a huge menu

Baileys food is always consistant and reasonable prices

Burrito Hut - good tex mex very similar buritos to la Quadoba in the states

I have never heard of any one having good meal at PJs and I aviod the place like the plague.

There are also various BBQ chicken (polly carbon) on the streets the chicken is terrific. So get one and take it home to eat.

DO NOT do the watefalls. it will be the single most dangerous thing you will do in your life. Very few safety precautions and people are always being injured as well as multiple loss of life there.

If you have a car take a riide to the east about an hour to Playa Caleton. It is just past the town of Rio san Juan. great litlle protected beach, good food served to you beach side at your chairs (Danny the chair guy will actually bring you fresh fish for you to pick out your lunch) usually very calm water and good snorkeling.

You can also take a trip to la Cumbre on the road to Moca. Go east through Cabarete and in Sabaneta (next town) bear right at the fork and head up into the mountains. Very , very pretty ride and eat lunch at Molino's at the top of the hill ( actually after the first hairpin turn heading down hill and the second restaurant you will come to) Very good food and a wonder ful view of the valley, Moca and Santiago. The goat stew here (may have ask for it) is some the best I have had here. Then head back down the hill.

Hope this all helps.

BObK

Salmon Arm, Canada
Level Contributor
1,758 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Heading to Sousa in two weeks.. first timers..

Your kids will love the dune buggies!! My advise is to bring clothes that you can throw away and a set of googles or safety glass's. I think you may hit some mud this time of year. Have a great time.

Mike :)

Sosua, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Plata, Sosua, Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
17,176 posts
222 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Heading to Sousa in two weeks.. first timers..

You should also go visit Monkey Jungle. Taket the el Choco road for 9km. Make a right turn onto el Choco road just after City Market heading towards Cabarete. it is a great time for all and supports a good cause. Do note that the road is rough in a couple of areas but not too bad and you should have no problems getting there.

Here is the web site:

http://www.monkeyjungledr.com/site/

The zip line is terrific and the monkey habitat is a great experience.

BObK

Pennsylvania
12 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Heading to Sousa in two weeks.. first timers..

Thanks everyone for the ideas and tips! I will post a trip report when we get back.. I'm just counting the days until I can be on a beach!

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,756 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Heading to Sousa in two weeks.. first timers..

Agree with Bobk's comments regarding El Molino del Cumbre - the ride there is beautiful and the food at the place is very good though got to add that the best chivo I've had was in Washington Heights. One point I would add is that the road appears to be popular at weekends with quad bike owners so keep an eye open for them on those hairpin bends.

If you have an interest in history another place worth visting is La Isabela - west of Puerta Plata and on the coast. The place where Columbus established his first permanent settlement in the Americas in 1493 (before Santo Domingo). The ride there is nice + the site includes a small musuem. Others may be able to provide full directions on how to get there.

http://www.flmnh.ufl.edu/histarch/isabela.htm

New York City
Destination Expert
for Sosua
Level Contributor
3,584 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Heading to Sousa in two weeks.. first timers..

Hola All...

Gracias for the suggestions, BobK, RV and DomingoUK! I'm a serious vet of the area, and I'm also in need of new ideas of what to do and see as I too prepare to return next month. All of your excellent choices will greatly help to that end...

I came across this article from the NYTimes, saved it and may in fact visit this area along the north coast as well:

…nytimes.com/2011/…

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,756 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Heading to Sousa in two weeks.. first timers..

Thanks Brooklyn. Interesting article - I would have added Monticristi except it is a bit of a long ride from Sousa.

Monticristi is one of my favorite towns in the DR - here are a few photos in case you are interested:

flickr.com/photos/…