We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Uh oh...even at 75% OFF through Barcelo, we made a BIG...

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
277 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Uh oh...even at 75% OFF through Barcelo, we made a BIG...

Can't believe I did this!!!!!!

Well I was pricing out what I THOUGHT was the Barcelo Maya Colonial in the Mayan Riviera, Mexico, at their 75% OFF Anniversary Special through the Barcelo website....

I see this GREAT rate of $108 come up (All inclusive- 2 adults no less) for a 4 nite stay in December 2006, at what I thought was the Barcelo Maya Colonial in Mayan Riviera ...NOT... and by the time

I had booked it, well it was too late.

What I had ACTUALLY booked today was the Barcelo Colonia Tropical in Juan Dollio.

Now granted these rates are non-refundable and you cannot modify the reservation in any way, so I am left with thinking should we still go or not?

The big issue is AIRFARE...Cleveland to the Santo Domingo Airport....what could we be looking at price wise RT and who has the best deals or last minute deals?

We would be leaving in December the week BEFORE Christmas. Is it possible to even FIND a good airfare at this time? We come back on the 23rd.

We currently have another reservation booked for June at the Barcelo Maya Caribe anyhow, so its not like we won't get there this year but I started thinking that with this 75% OFF deal, it was too good to pass up and decided to go there again in December but as you can see I booked the wrong PLACE!!!!!! Ugh!!!!!

I have been to Punta Cana 4 years ago with hubby, and we are both nearing 50.

I know this will be a completely different experience from the Riviera Maya and Punta but is it that bad? I have read both good and bad reviews of the Barcelo Colonia Tropical as well as the Capella.

Please be honest and let me know if you think with the air added in, it would still be worth it. At $108 for a 4 nite stay which covers both of us, all inclusive, it does seem like too good to pass up regardless, but if this resort is a dump, I mean extremely run down and so forth, as if we are staying at a Super 8 or Motel 6, LOL, I guess we should know now. We are not super picky but just want it to be fairly nice. I have no clue as to the age of this property as well..

I see we would share priviledges at the sister property, the Barcelo Capella but wondering how far of a walk do we have to the beach, since we have to cross the road to the other side since its resting on Capella side?

Also is there enough to do in the Juan Dolio area, is it safe?

Any help in this matter would be soooo very much appreciated...

Minnesota
2 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Uh oh...even at 75% OFF through Barcelo, we made a BIG...

I look at your "mistake" as a blessing in disguise! I have been to the Barcelo Colonia Tropical in Juan Dolio. I LOVED IT!! I have traveled extensively and loved this charming, little hotel. As you stated, you share privileges with the Barcelo Capella and that, too, was fabulous. The area is gorgeous and the people are wonderful.

I wish that I could be more help about the airfare, but I am not certain what you may have to pay.

Try and embrace the idea of the DR. I have been to Mexico, also, and find them both enjoyable.

Minnesota
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Uh oh...even at 75% OFF through Barcelo, we made a BIG...

The Barcelo Capella is just across a narrow, fairly quiet street from the Colonia Tropical. We ate mainly at the Capella but enjoyed the solitude of the pool at the Colonia. I would in no way compare the Colonia to a Super 8 or Motel 6. It has such a warmth and charm to it, that you have to experience it to understand. To be honest with you, I am very particular, and I have nothing negative to say about my time there.

We did venture into the surrounding area, outside of the resort. I was with a group of 3 women, and I did not feel unsafe. We just took the same precautions that you should anywhere. There are some wonderful restaurants and a great little bar right outside of the resort.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,900 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Uh oh...even at 75% OFF through Barcelo, we made a BIG...

Two of my friends stayed there this past xmas week and loved it.$108 for 4 nite is a great price.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
7,551 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Uh oh...even at 75% OFF through Barcelo, we made a BIG...

Try American Airlines, but do it now. There are very rarely any last minute deals now days. We just booked with them for an Oct. vacation and the price was reasonable for a direct, non stop flight from Boston. I couldn't find any other non stop, direct flights to "anywhere" from Boston the week we are going, so that helped me choose. As I mentioned in another post, we are going in a few weeks, our second visit to the Barcella Capella, so look for my review. I'm hoping it is as good as it was the first time we went.

As far as the Juan Dolio area, when we were there, it was perfectly safe to walk out of the resort to the area around it during the day. There were several streets lined with shops and restaurants. We didn't dine out of the resort, but saw quite a few other tourists doing so.

The beach was not as spectacular as Punta Cana, but still very nice. The water was clear and very calm.

I wish I had my old review, but then again, things can change over the years, so we are going with open minds and will make the best of it.

5. Re: Uh oh...even at 75% OFF through Barcelo, we made a BIG...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:20 pm, March 27, 2007
6. Re: Uh oh...even at 75% OFF through Barcelo, we made a BIG...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 pm, August 18, 2009