We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Capella or Talanquera?

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
95 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Capella or Talanquera?

We are looking at booking a trip for the Thanksgiving Holiday and I have been researching both of these resorts. I noticed that there are mixed reviews of both of these resorts and I wanted to know if they were well founded or not?

How long is the ride to the resorts from the Santo Domingo airport? Our package includes air from there and we heard it was closer than other airports in the area?

What is the food really like at the resorts? We like the option of a la cartes and are not big buffet people for dinner. We do not mind buffets for lunch, but would much prefer a sit down meal for dinner. Also, we would prefer to stay on the resort for meals since there will be 12 of us and it is all inclusive.

What are the drinks really like? We don't care if there is top shelf liquor, but how if the wine? Also, does anyone know if there is bourbon at the resort (some of the guys liek a Manhattan before dinner)?

What is the beach like/what will it be like in November? I know that there was some construction going on at one of the resorts and we want to make sure it will be usable while we are there?

If you had an option, which resort would you stay at? If you wouldn't stay at either what would your reasons be?

I know that this is a ton of questions, but we haven't traveled to this area before and I am a little apprehensive. Thank you in advance!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,900 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Capella or Talanquera?

the Talanquera is a standard hotel with standard food the ride from the airport is about 45 mins to an hour from SD airport. The drinks are standard local booze. The beach is a little rockey i would bring water shoes. We stayed there about 4 years ago so i don't know if it has changed.

Edmonton, Alberta
Level Contributor
3 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Capella or Talanquera?

The Capella is a higher rated hotel than the Talanaquera. The beach in front of both hotels have been updated with fresh sand over the past several months.

Does it really matter what the drinks are like? They are drinks! Drink them! Come on already! The booze will flow no matter where you go in the DR.

The cab ride is about 30 mins from the airport.

If you read all the reports people have posted about these 2 hotels then you will be able to weed the whiners from the easy going travellers and be able to determine your needs.

If you want 5***** go to Punta Cana! If you want a good holiday away from the masses then go to Juan Dolio. Don't end up as a whiner...do your homework!

Beaconsfield...
Level Contributor
1,126 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Capella or Talanquera?

Capella - trust me I have stayed at both! Scuba Diva

Edmonton, Alberta
Level Contributor
3 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Capella or Talanquera?

I have to agree though that the Barcelo Capella is definitely the best choice! It is a great hotel and I am going back in September and getting married there in January!

Melrose Park...
Level Contributor
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: Capella or Talanquera?

Well I will be going to Capella next week its a group of 5 of us we are also traveling from the Chicago area. So if you want I can give you a little better idea about this place when I get back. Like you once I started reading the reviews I got a bit worried. All I really need is a place to just relax and enjoy myself hopefully this place will provide it.

Bardonia new york
Level Contributor
1,917 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Capella or Talanquera?

I am a timeshare owner there for weeks 5 & 6 but don't use them anymore..however my brother in law goes every year and says they have made lots of improvements to the resort...the units are okay but nothing fancy...food is buffet and they have 2 restaurants that you can make a reservation one is I talian the other you must pay for as it is not inckluded in the all inclusive..as far as I know the food is okay.. it is a very big resort so be prepared for a lot of walking and yes it is about a 1/2 from the airport ,, they bring out carafees of wine at dinner one red & one white ..I'm not sure if they still do it

7. Re: Capella or Talanquera?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:17 am, September 06, 2009