We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Please help me choose my hotel

New York
5 posts
Save Topic
Please help me choose my hotel

Hi there - was hoping for some help in choosing my hotel. Was hoping to call on the collective experiences of this forum to find the right fit for me and my friend.

I am looking at going to Cabarete over xmas untill just after New Year. I am looking at getting accomodation with TWO bedrooms in a nice hotel in Cabarete/Kite Beach. I am interested in kiteboarding (have my own gear) and other water sports. Additionally we would like to be in the 'heart' of things in the evenings as far as restaurants and bars are concerned. I have been able to narrow it down to the following choices but would be greatful for any insights, recomendations and information that people can offer to help me with my decision making.

The hotels that I am looking at are as follows:

1.)Valero Beach resort.

Cannot really get room rates on this one. I think that they are around $100/night

2.)Agualina Kite Resort.

2 BR Deluxe Apartment $264/night

agualina.com/hotelrooms/…20apartments.htm

3.)Hotel Magnifico

2 BR Penthouse or Superior Penthouse. Building IV-VI. $170-180/night.

hotelmagnifico.com/elmagnifico/en/rates.php

It would seem that Magnifico is a better deal and by the pictures on both the websites it looks like Magnifico is better but is there something that I am missing? Any information, guidance is welcomed.

Mentioned in this post
Cabarete
Cabarete
Dominican Republic
Kite Beach Hotel
Kite Beach Hotel
189 Reviews
Dominican Republic
Agualina Kite Resort
Agualina Kite Resort
64 Reviews
Dominican Republic
Hooked Cabarete
Hooked Cabarete
#1 of 19 hotels in Cabarete
Velero Beach Resort
Velero Beach Resort
#3 of 19 hotels in Cabarete
Hanko, Finland
Level Contributor
154 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Please help me choose my hotel

I will just be posting a report on Magnifico, but I can tell you now already that it is in the "wrong" end of Cabarete if you are going there kiteboarding. Have you looked at Hotel Caracol?

Mentioned in this post
Cabarete
Cabarete
Dominican Republic
Cabarete, DR
Level Contributor
223 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Please help me choose my hotel

Hi there!

Based upon your interests: kiteboarding and being in the heart of the action - here are my thoughts.

All 3 properties you mentioned are great hotels, beautiful, and well run.

1) Velero Beach Resort (www.velerobeach.com - you will find rates on their site) is on the Eastern tip of Cabarete Bay - great view of the bay and perfect for watching the sunset.

It's not possible to kiteboard in front of Velero, this part of the Bay is designated for windsurfing and laser sailing. From Velero to the strip of beachfront businesses it's about 5-10 minutes walk.

2) Agualina is a gorgeous property, perfect beachfront location. As it is on Kite Beach it's good for kiteboarding, but about 1.5 miles from downtown Cabarete (taxi or public transportation trip)

3) El Magnifico is also great, it's even further East (upwind - away from the kiteboarding area) than Velero Beach Resort. So again, no kiteboarding allowed there and a bit further walk into town.

Worth mentioning - just next door to El Magnifico, inside the Hotel Casa Blanca, is a great breakfast joint called "CLARO" and I highly recommend everyone go there for a great breakfast!

Another thought - if you wanted to stay in El Magnifico/Velero, you could store you kiteboarding equipment at one of the many kiteboarding centers and then just walk on the beach to kite.

The other option is to stay on the opposite end of Cabarete Bay (the Western end, downwind of town and the windsurfing zone)

Here you have:

Ocean Dream Condos

Hotel Caracol

Villas Olas de Oro

These are all excellent alternatives, you can kite from the beach in front of the properties, and it's about a 5-10 minute walk to the town.

I hope this info is helpful and if you have questions feel free to email me -

laurel_eastman@yahoo.com

Enjoy and Good winds!

Mentioned in this post
Velero Beach Resort
Velero Beach Resort
392 Reviews
Dominican Republic
Cabarete
Cabarete
Dominican Republic
Kite Beach Hotel
Kite Beach Hotel
189 Reviews
Dominican Republic
3. Re: Please help me choose my hotel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:15 pm, August 18, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Cabarete