We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cabarete safe?

Which Cabarete hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New York
9 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Cabarete safe?

Our family is thinking of renting a Cabarete villa which is on the beach through VRBO, is Cabarete a safe area for families with teenagers and does it have stuff to do? I am a little nervous not knowing the area. We would like to be able to do excursions but I don't want to be in a bad area. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Silver Spring...
Destination Expert
for Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
7,832 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Cabarete safe?

It is not a bad area. Safer than some parts of NYC. Just take your normal pre-cautions, don't flash money or bling. Take taxis at night. There is plenty to do. Kids like the Monkey Jungle.

Plymouth, Michigan
Level Contributor
15 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cabarete safe?

We went about 10 years ago and loved it. It was very safe but also much smaller. After the first day, the whole town knew who we were. It has changed a lot since then. It has been built out (we drove through it a couple years ago). This is a windsurfing town, the beach is windy and you don't have the blue clear water in case that is what you are looking for.

Cabarete, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Cabarete
Level Contributor
41,180 posts
244 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cabarete safe?

Teenagers are more likely to like zip lining at monkey jungle, not the monkey tour.

Are there things for teenagers to do? Yes, there are plenty of excursions that I'm pretty certain your teens will be interested in. Check http://www.iguanamama.com for adventure-type activities. They may also be interested in learning windsurfing or kitesurfing in Cabarete beach, or surfing in Encuentro beach.

Now about the area, Cabarete is generally a safe place. I qualify my statement by saying "generally" because there are crooks every where in this world.

You need to exercise precautions like you would do in any foreign country. Don't wear expensive jewelry; leave them at home. This is a laid-back beach town. There is no where to go wearing expensive shoes, bags, or jewelry. Don't take all your money with you. Always leave a credit card, some dollars, and passports in the safe of the villa where you're staying. If you feel like you need to carry an ID, just carry your driver's license or state ID if you don't have one. And be careful of walking on dark places at night. I guess I do this too when I go to NYC, since when I'm not very familiar with an area, I prefer well lit streets. Else, take a cab. Better be safe than sorry.

Where is this villa that you're renting located? There are villas all around Cabarete but few on the beach. If you're not familiar with the area, we can tell you how far away you'll be from the center of town and whether or not you can swim in the beach right in front of the villa.

Silvia

Edited: 10:24 pm, January 25, 2014
Plymouth, Michigan
Level Contributor
15 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cabarete safe?

We went about 10 years ago and loved it. It was very safe but also much smaller. After the first day, the whole town knew who we were. It has changed a lot since then. It has been built out (we drove through it a couple years ago). This is a windsurfing town, the beach is windy and you don't have the blue clear water in case that is what you are looking for.

Level Contributor
228 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cabarete safe?

It is perfect

Isle of Man
Destination Expert
for Cabarete
Level Contributor
1,149 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cabarete safe?

Yes!

Just arrived back in England last Wednesday morning after a week of wall to wall sunshine, so I'm now having withdrawal symptoms! In the past, my wife has stayed in Cabarete on her own and I genuinely believe she was safer there on her own than walking on her own at night in the British city where we used to live.

As you've already been advised, don't go out dripping in gold or flashing the cash and you'll be fine.

There are a couple of good tour companies in the town and if you or the young 'uns like wind sports then kite & wind-surfing will keep you occupied! Depending upon when you can get there, you can have a [long] day trip to go whale watching in Samana.

7. Re: Cabarete safe?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, January 29, 2015