We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Crime against tourists?

Toronto, Canada
6 posts
Save Topic
Crime against tourists?

I've spent the past couple of days perusing the forums on dr1.com and came across several posts highlighting the crime against tourists in all the cities frequented by them. I noticed the word "dangerous" used by several posters to describe the situation and incidents. My gf and I are planning on spending a month in Cabarete but are now concerned about our safety after reading all that stuff. Is the situation really that bad for tourists? Are there any specific areas we should avoid in Cabarete, Sosua and Puerto Plata? Also, how is the security at Ocean Dream condos? Or should we consider an AI?

Thanks to all, in advance, for taking some time out to reply. Appreciate it :-)

Silver Spring...
Destination Expert
for Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
8,273 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Crime against tourists?

Take the normal precautions you would at home. No dark alleys, don't flash bling, etc. That is all you really have to worry about. Crime on tourists is not a frequent thing. Most are crimes of passion resulting from poor choices.

Sosua, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Plata, Sosua, Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
17,725 posts
280 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Crime against tourists?

Follow RV's advice. We own a rental condo in Ocean Dream and in 4 years have had one incident where a guest of ours got quite drunk was walking home alone at 3 in the morning and was pick pocketed by a "working girl" who had her hands all over him if you get my drift.

Ocean Dream is a very secure complex and if you use common sense you should have no problems.

BObK

Isle of Man
Destination Expert
for Cabarete
Level Contributor
1,191 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Crime against tourists?

Ocean Dream is a very nice spot, you'll have a great time! Mind you, I can't afford to stay there and only got past security once when I was invited in to see how the other half live! ;-)

There is one dark area of road between the main town and Ocean Dream where the working girls hang out on the other side of the street. They will come across to drunk guys in the early hours of the morning. If you don't talk to prostitutes at home, then don't talk to prostitutes in the Dom Rep! I don't even break stride and just say a firm 'no' before they even get near me and I've never had a problem. Don't get the wrong idea, the town isn't crawling with prostitutes but there are a few. There is some crime but it is minimal and is rarely violent. My wife has stayed in Cabarete alone in the past and I honestly never doubted her safety even though she walked in to town and back, alone and after dark. She was more at risk in the city we used to live in in England.

Take a couple of small torches. You are far, FAR more at risk from tripping over on an uneven pavement when walking home than you are of being attacked!

Toronto, Canada
6 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Crime against tourists?

Thank you all for replying. Glad and relieved to know that the crime is not violent or widespread.

I don't know if this warrants a new thread, but can anybody recommend an on call driver or someone we can hire for a month. We don't expect to travel outside the Cabarete - Sosua - Puerto Plata area. Someone we can also use as a guide and who will "have our back" so to speak.

Thanks again...your help is much appreciated. :-)

Cheers!

Cabarete, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Cabarete
Level Contributor
43,762 posts
266 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Crime against tourists?

We can recommend a driver but I'm not certain you can get an English-speaking driver to be on stand by for a month.

In Cabarete, you will be able to walk almost everywhere. You need to take a cab after dusk though. Don't walk the stretch of beach right past Ocean Dream and towards Cabarete Center after dusk. It's pretty dark. You can always take a cab for 150 pesos (about 4 US). To go to Sosusa, it will cost your 15 US each way. The cabs are all part of The Sosua/Cabarete taxi association, and safe to ride. To go to Sosusa, it will cost your 15 US each way.

For a longer sightseeing trips to Puerto Plata and elsewhere, get in touch with Elias at the cab company. He speaks English fluently. Send him an email to taxisosua@hotmail.com, or call him up when you arrive 809-842-5557. I don't know about his availability as he seems to be the only cabbie recommended on this forum. Unfortunately, the other cabbie I would recommend for long trips doesn't speak English.

Silvia

Toronto, Canada
6 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Crime against tourists?

Thanks, Silvia.

If you don't mind, may I send you a PM sometime to gather some more info?

Cabarete, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Cabarete
Level Contributor
43,762 posts
266 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Crime against tourists?

Sure, send me a PM any time.

Silvia

8. Re: Crime against tourists?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:46 pm, July 09, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Cabarete