We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thinking of Cabarete?!

Which Cabarete hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
toronto
Level Contributor
42 posts
147 reviews
Save Topic
Thinking of Cabarete?!

I have always gone to Puerto Plata and Punta Cana, but have been hearing some things about Cabaete. Has only one been here? how does it compare to the other 2? any hotel suggestions?

Thanks,

Wellesley, Ma
Level Contributor
796 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Thinking of Cabarete?!

My husband and I aren't party people. We came to Cabarete 15 years ago on our honeymoon to do some mountain biking with Iguana Mama. We came back 15 years later (this summer) to celebrate our 15th wedding anniversary. It is a much different place but it is what you make of it. We stayed at the Millennium Resort this time; 15 years ago we rented a villa that didn't have a/c. This time, my husband was still into mountain biking while I was more into snorkeling and photography. We arranged several trips through Iguana Mama - all were great. We snorkeled, my husband did some mountain bike rides, we did a calm bike ride together, I zip-lined at Monkey Jungle (highly recommended) while he rode, and we hired a guide to take us into the countryside to see more of the real Dominican Republic. We loved everything we did. We had some good food - Bliss was incredible (but not the cheapest meal in town) so we ate there twice; Gorditos Mexican was pretty good (and inexpensive). Every vacation is what you make of it - Cabarete is a nice place and someplace from which you can do other things. The Dominicans are wonderful people and the country is beautiful. Spread your wings and get away from the AIs and what you are used to doing; you will love it. I loved visiting Salcedo in particular with its history (the Mirabel sisters) and the incredible murals all over town. Enjoy the real DR!

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
210 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Thinking of Cabarete?!

Thanks for the info. I'm planning our vacatin for next year and I'm thinking about Cabarete, but others want Punta Cana. From what I have heard, I'm not a big Punta Cana fan. I heard its all AIs, with no real "town" or sites outside of the AI's. I want a place where I can walk around town, shop, eat, party, etc.

Did Cabarete have places to dance and party at night? Maybe places that play american dance type music?

Grimsby, Canada
Level Contributor
707 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Thinking of Cabarete?!

If ur looking for quant towns and quite then try samana..gbp cayacoa is a beautiful resort overlookin the town of samana..very nice and picturess

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
210 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Thinking of Cabarete?!

Thanks for the info. My group will want to party, so a town with clubs, dancing, music etc would be a big draw. A city with shopping, restaurants, sites, jet skiing, parasailing would be nice also.

Lebanon, Ohio
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
25. Re: Thinking of Cabarete?!

We just booked a 2 bedroom condo for 850 a week right on the beach- check out VRBO- great site for finding places. always had good luck with them.

Edited: 9:39 am, August 03, 2012
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
240 posts
163 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: Thinking of Cabarete?!

We are in our fiftys and travelled two years ago to Cabarete between Christmas and New Years. We had our two teenage daughters with us. We do like excitement but are not party animals and loved Cabarete. We stayed in a condo outside of town and went in everyday to the beach and then for dinner. The taxis are inexpensive and found the town to be really warm and we had a blast. I have never been to Punta Cana because I do not like AI, but would HIGHLY recommend Cabarete.

Lebanon, Ohio
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
27. Re: Thinking of Cabarete?!

You sound just like us only our teens are boys! Sounds great thanks! We are definitely staying in a condo in Cabarete.

3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
28. Re: Thinking of Cabarete?!

Hi Silvia,

Want to get your opinion. I am a 63 yr old female traveling with a family member that is even older. I might add that we may be old chronologically but are OK physically and want to enjoy our upcoming visit to Cabarete. We would like to know if it is safe to walk around town enjoy a cold beer without fear of having problems with criminals. I have been warned not to go to the Dominican Republic but I can't seem to find anyone that says Cabarete is unsafe. I was warned also that the airport taxi drivers have been known to rob tourists. We have rented a condo directly on the beach. Would it be safer to rent a car and drive ourself? Any other suggestions you might have would be wonderful....thanks

Sosua, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Plata, Sosua, Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
16,935 posts
221 reviews
Save Reply
29. Re: Thinking of Cabarete?!

Let me give you my two cents and I am sure Silivia will weigh in as well.

You will be fine. If you use common sense, don't flash jewels or money you will not have a problem. We lived in Cabarete at Ocean Dream for a year while building our villa and walked to town every night for happy hour and dinner on the beach.

You will enjoy the bars, restaurants and shops along the beach. So pretty good food for sure

The cab drivers at the airport and in town will NOT rob you and will treat you as guests. Do howeve decide on a price for any cab trips before geting into the cab.

Enjoy yoru vacation.

BObK

Cabarete, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Cabarete
Level Contributor
40,299 posts
242 reviews
Save Reply
30. Re: Thinking of Cabarete?!

Bob has covered it all! Nothing to fear. I'm not going to speak for other areas in the DR, but Cabarete is generally safe. If you don't flash valuables, you are not going tempt any rotten criminal that could be passing by.

The problem with airport cabbies you mention happened in Las Americas, SDQ, Santo Domingo airport. Where are you arriving? POP cabbies are very safe so are the cabbies who work for Taxi Sosua Cabarete.

One more question, you said you rented a condo on the beach. Where? There are some stretches of the beach that are isolated and I would not recommend for a stroll.

I would also recommend you take a cab to return home late at night Unlikely that something could happen, but better be safe.

Silvia