We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bob k or Silvia , can you help me

Which Cabarete hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Winnipeg
Level Contributor
37 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Bob k or Silvia , can you help me

Bob or Silvia . I've booked a flight to the dr Jan 15 to mar 15. I had originally planned to stay in Cabarete, but thinking it over, although a nice little town, maybe too quiet? It seems on the beach side beer is really expensive so I tend to frequent the opposite side, but it seems there iS only the pool hall or maybe one or two small places to pour a few(?) back. Being single, that is all I do at night time, people watching,talking to locals, tourists etc, I don't like spending the night in my room watching CNN. I was wondering if there any condos you know of near the beach within walking distance or in small or large town, where the beach is near, but I can walk out at night, and mingle with the locals or tourists? I haven't ruled out Cabarete, but looking at other options.I planned to stay at the cita de sol in caberete, but can't seem to get a firm commitment about prices, and they don't return emails. There is a town east of Cabarete , something" San Juan " is it bigger than Cabarete? Are there condos there? Are there any condos in peurta plata, close to the beach,5-10 min walk to the beach or into town, Can you help me?

Sosua, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Plata, Sosua, Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
17,177 posts
222 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bob k or Silvia , can you help me

Rio San Juan is about 30 min or so east of Cabarete and is a truely Dominican town wth basically NO tourists and very few expats living there. I don't think it is what you are looking for.

You will find plenty of less expensive watering holes around Cabarete especially at happy hour time (many times till 8PM or so).

Sosua is another option but you will find lots of "ladies of the evening" about as well as guys chasing them. But still lots of places where locals, expats and tourists hang out that are not looking for an evening of live entertainment.

BObK

Cabarete, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Cabarete
Level Contributor
41,188 posts
244 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bob k or Silvia , can you help me

There are a few places on the beach where you should find drinks less expensive than in most bars: one is La Cosita (a small bar that now has chairs and tables on the beach) next to Bamboo. There's a beach bar right next to Casa Laguna Beach Club (right after you pass Pomodoro) which I'm told has very inexpensive drinks. I don't know if they're open late though. Also check Celina's restaurant. Their food and drink prices are generally low compared to any other beach restaurants.

If you are in the area of Janet's supermarket, try Cafe Barrio latino. It's a local joint with very inexpensive drinks. After 11pm, there are a few "ladies of the night" but otherwise you'll find lots of people staying at Velero as well as locals.

Don't forget to check the area of El Callejon de la Loma (the street ending right in front of Ocean Dream). You're likely to find a few bars there with prices most suitable to locals than tourists.

Else like BobK said check out Sosua. Rio San Juan is nice town but the beach is tiny. There is a nice beach close by (Playa Caleton) but you'll need transportation to get there from town. If you're planning on a 2-month stay, you may want to rent for a month in Cabarete or Sosua, then go check the Rio San Juan area to see how you like it.

Silvia

3. Re: Bob k or Silvia , can you help me

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:18 pm, October 30, 2012