We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Prices in Cabarate?

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
68 posts
Save Topic
Prices in Cabarate?

We are on a relatively tight budget and want to get the best possible holiday in either Puerto Plata or Cabarate for the least money without sacrificing our enjoyment. We are trying to estimate the costs associated with staying in a small hotel or apartment in Cabarate versus an All Inclusive there or closer to Puerto Plata. Could someone who has been there give us an idea of some of the following costs:

Beer in Bar (and in supermarket)?

Mojito in bar/cafe

Lunch or dinner in a modest but decent restaurant?

Breakfast?

Food prices in supermarket - how do they compare with US, Canada and Europe?

Any costs associated with going to the beach?

Are excursions and/or tours similarly priced to those from Puerto Plata resorts?

Anything I am forgetting?

Also, are we likely to get constantly hassled by vendors etc.

Would it be a good choice versus the AI in Puerto Plata?

Vaughan, Canada
Level Contributor
858 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Prices in Cabarate?

i stayed AI in cabarete so I can't talk to the costs of food or drinks or hotels off the resorts...

in regards to the vendors...if you walk on the main strip there will be people in front of their stores trying to get you to come look at their shops...and the guys with the wood boxes they will bug ya too...what i found was the woodbox guys are the same guys daily...you tell them what day you are leaving and they will leave you alone until closer to that date because uve informed them you want to wait to buy ur gifts....it worked for us!

Dexter, Michigan
Level Contributor
88 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Prices in Cabarate?

Cabarete is a fantastic place! My husband and I were there in Feb. of 2006 and we plan to go back this next Feb. We absolutely LOVED it!

I would highly encourage you to try staying in a place other than an AI. We rented a studio apartment for $385 a week. We ran the number and saved a lot of money renting an apartment than staying in an all inclusive. It had a kitchenette, so we could make our own food, or go out to eat. The grocery stores are easy to find and are reasonably priced. They only benefit to an AI is included alcohol, but we just bought rum at the grocery store and it was really good and really cheap. The restaurants were about the same they would be in the States, some were cheaper, some were a little more. There is a Chinese restaurant-the food is to die for.

There is a really good website for Cabarete, I urge you to check it out. It's www.activecabarete.com.

Also, here is the website for the rental agency where we found our apartment, they rent villas as well and isn't far from downtown.

http://www.cabaretevillas.com/index.php

If you have any more questions about Cabarete, just let me know!

Raymore, Sask...
Level Contributor
599 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Prices in Cabarate?

You can stay lots of places for $20 to $40 a night. Several places for under $400 a week. These are small one bedrooms or studios, most have kitchens. There are 3 or 4 supermarkets in Cabarete and prices are very good as many locals shop in the same stores. Beer prices very depending which bar you go to. In the supermarket a beer is .80 to 1.00. You can get a lunch for $5.00 or $6.00. Breakfast under $5.00. Supermarkets very cheap. You rent a beach chair on the beach for about $3.00 for the day and someone will get you what ever you need.Tours are the same tours you bought in Puerto Plata, but likely much cheaper. Most vendors in Cabarete will not hassel you like Sosua and lots of them have prices tags on the stuff, but you can still deal. Check out Liquidation World in Cabarete. We stayed at AI's the first couple times but go on our own now and save a bundle and have a blast. Have fun.

Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
9,947 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Prices in Cabarate?

Fore a real budget treat check out the BTBCF Auction at

http://www.beyondthebeach.ca/auction.htm

Here are some present bids(as of Sunday, Sept 2) :

$50US

One week budget accommodation at Hotel Castlla PLUS dinner for two WITH a bottle of wine

$130US

One week accommodation at CoCo Hotel in Sosua

$120US

One week accommodation at ApartHotel Las Canas in Sosua

Bids close tomorrow.

Sosua is a $10RD or $20 RD guagua ride from Cabarete and from Puerto Plata it's about $30RD or $40RD.

Other than that Cabarete is about the most expensive on the North Coast, Sosua is less expensive - but it depends on what you want from the area.

Gregg

Raymore, Sask...
Level Contributor
599 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Prices in Cabarate?

Gregg,

I was going to ask, is there a time limit on while you have to use the accommodations, if one was lucky enough to be the high bidder?

Thanks.

Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
9,947 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Prices in Cabarate?

Generally approx. one year although if you wish to use it beyond April or May of next year you should ask about this in advance.

Most suppliers are very good to work with us to provide a great experience for the successful bidders so virtually any reasonable request will probably be OK.

Gregg

Raymore, Sask...
Level Contributor
599 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Prices in Cabarate?

Thanks Gregg, it is a very good cause. We will keep a eye on the bidding.

8. Re: Prices in Cabarate?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:16 pm, September 08, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Cabarete
Recent Conversations