We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Still confused about this Departure/Exit tax...

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Muskoka District...
Level Contributor
50 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Still confused about this Departure/Exit tax...

I know this topic has been discussed a hundred times but I still can't figure out whether I am supposed to be giving in at the Belize border and paying.

I will be arriving on the 19th, crossing on the 20th... I will be re-entering Mexico again for my flight home before the 4th.

My airline receipt shows a 23.80 Tourist tax and a 28.80 departure tax.

1) If I show my receipt at the border do I need to pay the exit tax?

2) Is there a way to stop them from keeping my tourist card so that I don't have to pay an entry fee back into Mexico?

3) What steps do I need to take in order to pay as little as possible?

Queretaro City...
Level Contributor
14,503 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Still confused about this Departure/Exit tax...

1) Theoretically no. As long as your receipt clearly shows "tourist tax" that should be enough. (Frequently the tourist tax is not broken down and therefore you have no proof.) They may well try to charge you anyway.

2) Not really. Your FMM can NOT be used for multiple entries so if they take it then you will need a new one when you return.

3) Argue!

So, in summary, you should not need to pay when you exit Mexico by land (since it has been included in the cost of your flight) but you do need to obtain one (and pay for it) on your return.

Mechelen, Belgium
Level Contributor
13 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Still confused about this Departure/Exit tax...

Just went from Chetumal to Caye Caulker, had to pay the tax but it's all legal. Answer to the same question from the Mexican Consul:

According to information provided by the Mexican Immigration Department (INM), when entering Mexico by plane and leaving Mexico by boat, you do not have to pay the departure fee ONLY IF your flight ticket has included said fee specified with the code "UK".

In case your flight ticket does not have the code "UK" then you will have to pay said departure fee of MX$295.00 Mexican pesos (called in Spanish "Derecho de Visitante sin permiso para realizar actividades remuneradas"). Once you pay the departure fee, the Mexican Immigration official at the border with Belize must produce a printed receipt of the departure fee payment.

When entering Mexico by boat from Belize and leaving by air, you must pay the departure fee at the Mexican Immigration office at the Chetumal dock or at the Cancun airport. You do not have to pay it if the return portion of your flight ticket has also the code "UK" (assuming that you are departing by plane from Cancun). In that case, you must indicate so to the Mexican Immigration official to avoid the exit fee payment.

Respectfully,

Marcelino Miranda

Acting Consular Officer

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
5 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Still confused about this Departure/Exit tax...

I crossed the Mexican border at Chetumal today, 18 July 2013, before taking the water taxi service to Caye Caulker Belize.

Following the good advice in this forum, I presented my airline confirmation email which included a breakdown of the price of my one-way flight into Mexico City, one month earlier, and specifically the lines that said "Mexico tourism tax $22.60" and "2 passengers", and this was sufficient for both myself and my partner to avoid paying the 295 peso "departure tax" that was requested by Mexican immigration. Note that you need to leave a copy of the airline confirmation email with the Mexican official for his records.

In theory, few people should need to pay the 295 peso fee on leaving Mexico. My understanding is that the fee covers the FMM card you pick up on arrival into Mexico by air, and most air tickets include the FMM fee upfront. In practice however nearly all the other passengers today simply handed over their 295 pesos without question.

Just one extra point... There is a $5 "port fee" per person payable to the ferry company, if you leave by sea. It appears legitimate.

Hope this helps.

Queretaro City...
Level Contributor
14,503 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Still confused about this Departure/Exit tax...

Thanks Craig - that's exactly how it should work.

Wilton Manors...
Level Contributor
33 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Still confused about this Departure/Exit tax...

1) No. If you show your itemized airline receipt, you don NOT need to pay the tax.

2) They will ask for your FMM card, but there are ways around this.

3) Read our detailed blog entry on how we successfully avoided paying any exit taxes when going from Mexico into Belize: roamingaroundtheworld.com/how-to-beat-the-me…

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Still confused about this Departure/Exit tax...

Just out of curiosity if I took a pic of my fmm card and explained I lost it,would they let us cross the border and pay the exit fees??

Texas Gulf Coast...
Level Contributor
5,554 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Still confused about this Departure/Exit tax...

HumanGiant, NO, if you lose your FMM card it costs about 480 Mxn pesos to replace it, which you must do BEFORE you depart Mexico. This applies whether you depart by land, sea or air.

The FMM card is a Mexican tourism card where they track visitors to their country. They are given to you free of charger when you enter Mexico as a tourist, Mexican Immigration keeps the card after reviewing and stamping it, and you are given this little receipt which you are to surrender upon departure or pay the equivalent of the 480 peso fee to replace the FMM card.

Se diviertan!

8. Re: Still confused about this Departure/Exit tax...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, June 05, 2015