We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any safety concerns re: transfers?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Kirkland, Washington
Level Contributor
2 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Any safety concerns re: transfers?

I am not familiar with the safety of travel by van from Mexico City Airport to the Spa resort at Ixtapan. I went there several years ago and remember a two hour ride through rural areas. Have there been any problems? The vans are clearly identifiable and would be known to carry tourists from the U.S. I would really like to return, but have qualms. Don't want to risk kidnap for ransom or robbery. I loved the spa resort. We went right after 9-11 and the staff really appreciated that our party didn't cancel! The spa treatments were great, and the water aerobics classes excellent.

Queretaro City...
Level Contributor
14,503 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Any safety concerns re: transfers?

As a tourist you are much safer than a local! You should have no undue safety concerns.

portland
1 post
Save Reply
2. Re: Any safety concerns re: transfers?

I agree with your concerns. I have been to the Spa in Ixtapan for the last 6 years but am thinking of not going this year due to travel concerns. I usually fly into Toluca and the resort picks me up there for a 45 minute ride to the Spa. I normally go in July or August so will keep an eye on the news.

Queretaro City...
Level Contributor
14,503 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Any safety concerns re: transfers?

OK, let me expand on my earlier reply. There are areas in Mexico (near the border) where illegal barricades are regularly erected for the purposes of robbery and public shootouts are common - this area is not one of them. There are other areas (e.g. parts of Michoacan) where maybe once a year events happen (perhaps in response to a major drug arrest) that endanger innocents. The rest of the country (at least 80% of it) has no major safety worries - this area is part of that 80%. I drive all over Mexico on a daily basis and have yet to see anything untoward.

Delray Beach...
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Any safety concerns re: transfers?

how is the weather , humidity and rainfall in july

Queretaro City...
Level Contributor
14,503 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Any safety concerns re: transfers?

Weather is hard to predict! Where I live I was told that winters were bitter but for the last 2 months we have had temps of 30-35C (86-97F) every day and very mild nights. Generally humidity is not a problem in this area. Weather is warm in the day (25-30C/75-86F) and showers occur late afternoon or early evening for 1-2 hours. Prolonged rain can occur but usually only once or twice a month.

USA
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Any safety concerns re: transfers?

Have you considered flying directly into Taluca? It is a new airport and getting through customs etc. is a breeze. The hotel shuttle van is there to greet you and you are at the spa in less than an hour.

I wouldn't be too concerned about safety if you are being picked up by the spa shuttle. I was in Ixtapan de la sal last year & the year before and felt very safe both at the spa and walking around town.

7. Re: Any safety concerns re: transfers?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:15 pm, November 27, 2014