We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trekking in Seoraksan N.P. - Daecheongbong Peak Trail

London, United...
Level Contributor
40 posts
149 reviews
Save Topic
Trekking in Seoraksan N.P. - Daecheongbong Peak Trail

Hi,

I plan to do some hiking in Seoraksan for 3 days (15-17th April).

Can anyone advice specifically is it possible to do this course in 1 day?

I'd hopefully start early morning from Seoraksan Park Office, reaching Daecheongbong Peak around midday, then head down the very same route arriving before the sunset (6.30 pm), assuming local weather / conditions are good enough, ie. no major rainfall, muddy paths, etc.

As I understand, approx. 15-16 km up/downhill walk - 11 hrs recommended.

Already booked my accommodation in Sokcho, therefore I'd prefer to use it rather than take a chance and stay overnight in the cabin (no reservation made).

Has anyone actually tried it? Can you honestly say it's worth the hassle or I should take it easy and plan 2 days to cover that distance?

Also, do you know if there are any time restrictions in terms of reaching the peak

(eg. Halla-san in Jeju for people reaching Baengnokdam Crater / Seongpanak Trail)?

I wonder what time the open the park each morning so tourists are allowed on trails...

Please let me know if you have any experience on the above.

Thanks in advance for all your advice.

Damian

South Korea
Destination Expert
for South Korea
Level Contributor
1,246 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Trekking in Seoraksan N.P. - Daecheongbong Peak Trail

First of all, hiking to the peak is prohibited to prevent wildfire during the spring time, to be specific, from 4th March to 15th May. So you can't hike to the Daecheongbong Peak during your visit day. But you can go to UlsanBawi Rock, Beseondae, Biryong Falls, and KumKang Cave, because they are located low level area.

London, United...
Level Contributor
40 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trekking in Seoraksan N.P. - Daecheongbong Peak Trail

JJKorea,

Bad news for me then... Anyway, it seems like you're well informed on the topic.

Does that mean the enitre trail is closed or it's top section only?

Do you think they'd be able to tell me exactly which parts are accessible and which are not at Seoraksan Visitor Center?

Generally speaking, I am aware of various (shorter) options available ie. Ulsanbawi Rock, Biryong Falls, etc.

Simply planned to climb slightly more demanding route up the hill to fill in a day, if you know what I mean...

Finally, can anyone recommend any longer trails within the park accessible in springtime?

Thank you.

D.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
451 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trekking in Seoraksan N.P. - Daecheongbong Peak Trail

I have no idea about trail closures but here's the Korea Parks official site for Seoraksan which shows maps and estimated times for most of the trips in the park.

english.knps.or.kr/Experience/ParkList.aspx…

I did the trip to Daecheongbong Peak starting from and finishing at the main park entrance last October. I started just after 9 am and got back to the entrance just before 5pm, so it took me a total of just under 8 hours. But that was going at a pretty good speed and it would've been more enjoyable to have started earlier, and taken a few more breaks. But anyone that hikes regularly and is in decent shape should be able to do it in a day.

A couple of years ago, I did a hike in the northwest part of the park (starting at and returning to Namkuri Park Ranger Post). There also tend to be a lot fewer people on that section, especially as you're going midweek. I caught a bus from the Bus Terminal at the north end of town. However I have no idea if that section is affected by closures.

Jason

London, United...
Level Contributor
40 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trekking in Seoraksan N.P. - Daecheongbong Peak Trail

Thank you, Jason.

Sounds rather promising :)

If they confirm the trail is closed, indeed, I may try 'your' option at the other end of the park...

Damian

5. Re: Trekking in Seoraksan N.P. - Daecheongbong Peak Trail

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, April 01, 2014