We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
TripAdvisor
General Santos
Search

Be careful of getting hitched(married)

Melbourne.Australia.
3 posts
2 reviews
Be careful of getting hitched(married)

Hi my name is Brendan O'Meara,i am from Melbourne ,Australia.

I fell in love with a woman from General Santos,it was bliss for nearly 2 years.But of june of this year she decided to end it.I had already paied 3,500 dollar for her to get a divorce.The divorce papers were all fake.And she had decided to go with a 61yearold Norway man ,who had lots of money.I'm just getting over the break-up.

If you are interested in woman,please be careful and make sure you do all your homework before you take the relationship futher.I can give you my advice,i can be contacted by e-mail bgj60@hotmail.com.

Brendan.

manila
Level Contributor
7 posts
5 reviews
8 helpful votes
11. Re: Be careful of getting hitched(married)

my advise is, get to know the person better, check the family background etc. i know it's easy to pretend and lie on the net. i'm a filipina and sad to say, yes, there are bad people out there who take advantage of you. not just one way around, it could also be the other way around. don't give your trust easily and most of all, don't give money unless you're already married and living together (if that make sense).

UK
Level Contributor
289 posts
7 reviews
5 helpful votes
12. Re: Be careful of getting hitched(married)

Hiya Marie

Your story sounds great and it confirms what my advice is - take time to choose the right partner! Good luck to you and your new fiance.

Matt

Mindanao...
Level Contributor
58 posts
204 reviews
287 helpful votes
13. Re: Be careful of getting hitched(married)

Getting married to a Filipina - or ANYONE - is a difficult, risky business in this day and age. My second "kick at the can" has been wonderfully, tremendously successful.BUT, here's the bad news, it's mostly luck, just dumb luck. I waited for my wife for three and a half YEARS before we were married - as, by my choice, I waited for her to finish university. And when I say waited, I mean WAITED.During this period, I visited her dozens of times and lived for months with her and her family.

We will have been married for ten years in July, have three small children, she is hard working, frugal, has become an avid gardner and a GREAT cook, and is still as beautiful and sexy as when I met her thirteen years ago (when she won the provincial beauty contest and was Miss Campus Queen).

Now here's my point: after waiting for three plus years and all the visits, I knew almost nothing about her compared to what I know now. Despite my thinking that I knew my wife to be inside out, I knew almsot nothing about her after all that time.

Almost all of I learned after our marriage has been good, even terrific news. But it could just as easily been bad news. Lucky me, but it's scary, since it could have been the other way.

Filipina (and Filipinos) are very closed people compared us Americans, Australians and so on. We tell it like it is, more or less. They do not tell you about themselves; rather they tell us what they think we want to hear. You think they are opening up to you, but NO.

I was lucky (the second time), hope you are too. Just remember you are marrying someone who is from a different culture, and probably from a different religion, education level, economic level and so on. Watch out. Many horrow stories out there.

If any of you would like to read more of my "insights", just let me know.

Bon Chance

Mindanao...
Level Contributor
58 posts
204 reviews
287 helpful votes
14. Re: Be careful of getting hitched(married)

Why is this "conversation" appropriate for a travel website? When I go into the nearest town to an internet cafe, almost all the customers are Filipina chatting with "penpals" abroad. A HUGE amount of the travel to the Philippines is by foreign men who are coming to meet Filipina women - for marriage, not for sex a la Angeles City (lots of them too). Almost every new foreigner I see in the provincial capital has traveled to the Philippines to meet a penpal.

So as far as I can see, for the Philippines it is legitimate. And anyway, if you don't like, don't read. Easy.

Hope the referee does not cut us off.

japan
Level Contributor
136 posts
15. Re: Be careful of getting hitched(married)

Well,

There is this tendency to look Asian race down in western world.

I have seen ads in magazines saying "Get young Asian wives! Even if you are over 60 years old, divorced, or whatever, as long as you are white man, there are plenty of young Asian girls waiting for you!"

i was so disgusted by these ads and unfortunately this is really happening in the world.

Wake up Ladies!!!!

alkhobar
Level Contributor
3,074 posts
8 reviews
13 helpful votes
16. Re: Be careful of getting hitched(married)

Sadly (or luckily?), ladies will be ladies - seeking out the best hunter in the tribe. While some of them are working out of the web, the road is still long and unsure.

japan
Level Contributor
136 posts
17. Re: Be careful of getting hitched(married)

That's why I am saying this.

"Wake up, ladies! Don't make mistakes like lots of others do! Educate yourself."

You know what I mean?

Dubai
3 posts
18. Re: Be careful of getting hitched(married)

Few things I can add. Dating online, people using keyboards to look for a partner - most what they telling you are not true. They wanted to tell you what you want to hear. Dont make a commitment specially 'Money' involves but keep communicating with her/him thru call or emails, sms or whatever until you meet her/his and her/his families. Spend a couple of weeks and see for yourself then you can go from there.

Good Luck to you guys!

Cyberspace
Level Contributor
28 posts
19. Re: Be careful of getting hitched(married)

Matt1972 already gave some real good advice here.

In the West there's still this cliche about the cute, cuddly and submissive Asian girl who will take care of you, anticipate your every wish, never talk back and be the perfect housewife of course. Not like these unruly and emancipated western who can't cook and refuse to give a solid blowjob.

Not my thinking but a lot of men here are fed up with their female counterparts and think along these lines.

They fantasize about some perfect Asian they can mold after their vision of what a woman should be like. But they don't realize what it means to marry a Filipina or a Thai woman.

The cultural differences are huge and divorce rate is up to 90% because the hopes on BOTH sides are so unrealistic to begin with. She thinks Europe or USA is paradise, everyone's a millionaire there and he will be her ticket to this heaven but quickly she becomes disillusioned and homesick. He finds out she's not the cuddly submissive kitten he thought and lack of communication leads to disaster soon.

I thought Thailand was crazy in terms of girls wanting to marry a Farang but boy did I get surprised when I traveled the Philippines. So many Filipinas were "interested" in me, especially salesgirls at Robinson etc. always were keen to flirt and asked if I'm single or married. And not because I look like brad Pitt I can assure you.

It seemed they all wanted to leave the country yet they had never even been to their neighbouring states. In Negros I met a girl who had never been to Luzon and didn't know that Manila was the capital but talked about wanting to travel with me. Even guys asked me referring to other women they knew. I was asked several times in Jeepneys from strangers if I was interested in marrying a Filipina and that they knew this sweet great girl in their town and if I would be willing to give out my email so she could send some pics.

Jesus Christ, imagine that! I knew about the mail order brides on the Net but never thought it would be that extreme.

manila
Level Contributor
7 posts
5 reviews
8 helpful votes
20. Re: Be careful of getting hitched(married)

"Wake up, ladies! Don't make mistakes like lots of others do! Educate yourself."

omggg this is soo true!!! and also because they seek for a greener pasture that's why filipinas wanna hook up with a foreigner that she thought someone who could give her a better life. tsk tsk if only the government officials of the country are not corrupt, philippines is well in fact a very rich country and the situation wont be like this lol.

others wanna marry a white guy coz they want to have a gorgeous kids. asian blood mix with white is indeed the gorgeous one hehe. no pretentions but i thought about that before but now i changed my mind coz i'm happy with someone else :P