We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cagayan de Oro Tourist

Which Cagayan de Oro hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Los Angeles...
3 posts
Save Topic
Cagayan de Oro Tourist

I am an American who will be traveling to CDO in February. I am meeting a group of local friends, and will be staying with a friend in a local residence.

It is the first time I have ever traveled outside of my country, and I am nervous. I see on government sites about travel advisories (though I know that there are many countries that have travel advisories). I have been reassured by my friends in CDO and a few American Filipinos that a white American will be safe, especially with friends. However, there are a number of American Filipinos that strongly caution me from going there.

I know I will stand out physically, but I also know that I can't be the only American in such a big city. So.. is there anyone out there that can reassure me? Will I be safe? Are there other foreign tourists wandering around?

i also know through friends about the devastating floods there, and I worry about increased crime.

Forgive me.. I'm naieve about traveling and every one I talk to gives me a different story. I trust my friends there and I know that I will never be alone, but I worry about Muslim terrorism and wanted to get some outside advice.

Thanks for any help you can give me. I know it's a beautiful place and I'm looking forward to connecting with my friends. Just nervous from all I've read

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
22,145 posts
1,505 reviews
Save Reply
31. Re: Cagayan de Oro Tourist

Give up trying for free ads. Avoid businesses like the above that breach rules they agreed to when joining TA.

Tommo

Coventry, United...
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
32. Re: Cagayan de Oro Tourist

Hi can you tell me the best way to travel to cagayan as there are no direct flights from England many thanks

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
10,671 posts
1,968 reviews
Save Reply
33. Re: Cagayan de Oro Tourist

Crf225, Philippine Airlines operates flights five nights a week from London Heathrow. Check on www.philippineairlines.com to keep teh agents honest but use a bucket shop such as http://www.pic-uk.com/

Although some Middle Eastern or other Asian airlines may be a bit cheaper, it's worth it to pay more on Philippine Airlines, because it operates the only nonstop flight from Europe to Philippines.

Price a through ticket on Philippine Airlines from London Heathrow to Cagayan de Oro, Mindanao but sometimes it can be cheaper to buy the LHR - MNL ticket from the online agent but purchase the local ticket from the Philippine Airlines website. If you do this, then contact Philippine Airlines by phone and have the two separate tickets 'linked' to ensure that when you get to the airport in London, your luggage in the hold can be checked through to CDO.

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
11,698 posts
336 reviews
Save Reply
34. Re: Cagayan de Oro Tourist

You either fly to Manila or Cebu and take a domestic flight to CDO.

It is that simple!

Brewster, New York
Level Contributor
143 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
35. Re: Cagayan de Oro Tourist

I would agree in taking a direct non-stop flight from London to Manila. Less chance of delays, less chance of error in luggage transfer. In Manila I believe you will fly the budget subsidiary Phil Air Xpress to Languidingan Airport near CDO. CDO is only served by budget airlines now. Transportation to CDO from the airport is plentiful.

I have visited CDO and Iligan City regularly for the past 6 years. Always a very enjoyable time. The two hotels I found most favorable to me in CDO are Mallberry Suites and Dynasty Court ( see my reviews on this website ). May I suggest that what ever lodging acomodation you choose, as a visitor / tourist you are better off at a facility that is accredited by the Region 10 Board of Tourism.

Philippine Airlines announced a while back that they expect to offer direct non stop New York to Manila flights. This is something I look forward to.

Stirling, United...
Level Contributor
253 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
36. Re: Cagayan de Oro Tourist

CDO is a very cool city.. i was there early april for about 5 days.. just stayed near few minutes from Ayala mall.. felt completely safe.. quite a lot of foreigners there also !

37. Re: Cagayan de Oro Tourist

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 8:35 pm, May 14, 2014
38. Re: Cagayan de Oro Tourist

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:15 am, February 09, 2016