We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cagayan de Oro Tourist

Which Cagayan de Oro hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Los Angeles...
3 posts
Save Topic
Cagayan de Oro Tourist

I am an American who will be traveling to CDO in February. I am meeting a group of local friends, and will be staying with a friend in a local residence.

It is the first time I have ever traveled outside of my country, and I am nervous. I see on government sites about travel advisories (though I know that there are many countries that have travel advisories). I have been reassured by my friends in CDO and a few American Filipinos that a white American will be safe, especially with friends. However, there are a number of American Filipinos that strongly caution me from going there.

I know I will stand out physically, but I also know that I can't be the only American in such a big city. So.. is there anyone out there that can reassure me? Will I be safe? Are there other foreign tourists wandering around?

i also know through friends about the devastating floods there, and I worry about increased crime.

Forgive me.. I'm naieve about traveling and every one I talk to gives me a different story. I trust my friends there and I know that I will never be alone, but I worry about Muslim terrorism and wanted to get some outside advice.

Thanks for any help you can give me. I know it's a beautiful place and I'm looking forward to connecting with my friends. Just nervous from all I've read

Luzon, Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Bandar Seri Begawan
Level Contributor
16,503 posts
246 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cagayan de Oro Tourist

This is a good read --> tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g729733-i12570-k37…

I have been to your hometown and I will advice you not to do anything that you would not do in L.A. and all you need is travel common sense to have an excellent vacation.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cagayan de Oro Tourist

Sean, I am in seattle and looking to go to cdo sometime around early spring. I have read all the reports same as you and I am also having the same concerns and would like to know what you find out or if you find any other related information that you think might be helpful. From what I've read online, just stay in cdo or north and don't go south. And be cautious and don't go anywhere alone outside of the city??? It's a lot of information to digest travelling abroad to a country where there is a lot of unknowns. It makes me realize how easy we have it here!!! Eric

Los Angeles...
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Cagayan de Oro Tourist

Sorry to get back to this so late. A friend who lives in Los Angeles has a workmate who is from CDO. He says it's overall a safe city. However, I changed my plans to meet my friend in Manila, instead, as CDO is still digging out from the massive flood. People are still drinking bottled water, and as far as I know schools are still not scheduled to open until February because displaced people are staying in the schools that have been converted to shelters.

If not for the flood, and so much debris and trash on the streets, I would have been reassured to go there and I'm sure I would have had a great time. But like I said, I've chosen instead to stay in Manila.

s

clare,ireland
Level Contributor
5,334 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Cagayan de Oro Tourist

its normal in most parts of phillipines to drink bottled water as contamination can occur -even in supposed 1st world countries -many people dont drink tap water ,eric -sent pms

Los Angeles...
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Cagayan de Oro Tourist

Yes you are correct, but my intent was to call attention to the fact that the water treatment plant in CDO is still running below capacity.

Brighton, United...
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cagayan de Oro Tourist

I'm a Brit, married to a Filipina (and her large family!) and we have a house in Manila and in C de Oro and visit every year for the past 10 years. We are presently in Makati area of Manila: Market Market location, with all new buildings and huge choice of shops restaurants etc. Will be off to C de O this week and can report again, but never had a bad experience yet - apart from constantly being identified as an American!

Makati, Philippines
Level Contributor
78 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cagayan de Oro Tourist

It is fairly safe in Cagayan de Oro. We've have been there in 2010. Fisherman was correct in saying that you'd better not wander down south Mindanao (especially if not accompanied by a local), even us Filipinos are constantly afraid of the terrorism there. Cagayan de Oro is a very beautiful place with friendly people. But if you are considering the water problem there, there are a lot of beautiful places near CDO, you can go visit several natural springs in Camiguin, visit Pearl Farm in Davao, or try the longest zipline in Asia located in Bukidnon. I have been to all of these places in Mindanao and all of these places are safe, we also have seen several foreigners enjoying the place. If you are worried about Muslims, don't worry those places I have mentioned are mostly Catholic communites. You'd only find large Muslim communities down the southern part of Mindanao.

Level Contributor
2 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cagayan de Oro Tourist

Hello Sean.

I have been to CDO several times i love it,i am also white Irish,i would have to say i have never had any negative feelings or any worries while in the area,obviously just be careful at night as you would in any city,i am going over there myself in April with my wife who is from the area

the people are friendly and you will feel at home,good luck and enjoy

Sean From Ireland

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
15,139 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cagayan de Oro Tourist

ily p.........Davao is not near CDO and its not advisable to travel there by land.

CDO is safe, stay in the city limits, do any touring by day and have a great time .

clare,ireland
Level Contributor
5,334 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Cagayan de Oro Tourist

who said its not adviable to travel to davao by land? i have travelled from cdo to davao and back ,never any problem -same as going anywhere else in mindanao