We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mandalay or not?

Ashiya, Giappone
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Mandalay or not?

Hello, I am planning a short stay in Myanmar in December and I have only 4 days....one day in Yangon, 2 days in Bagan and 1 day in Mandalay or better to leave Mandalay out for this time and just spend more time in Yangon and Bagan? Thank you for your advice.

Mentioned in this post
Mandalay
Mandalay
Mandalay Region, Myanmar
mandalay
Level Contributor
104 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Mandalay or not?

Dear,

You should not miss Mandalay which has a lot of arts.

Mentioned in this post
Mandalay
Mandalay
Mandalay Region, Myanmar
London
Level Contributor
1,154 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mandalay or not?

If you have only 4 days then concentrate on Rangoon and Bagan - travelling will absorb a lot of time as to you will also need to travel back to Rangoon to leave the country.

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
for Kurashiki, Cambodia, Myanmar
Level Contributor
16,114 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mandalay or not?

Definitely spend the time in Bagan. It takes at least 4 full days to cover all of the temples, and 2~3 days there will give you plenty of time to see the best ones and also do some shopping for exquisite lacquerware produced there.

Make an early start of each day, visiting the popular temples on the main route first before the tour buses arrive.

Save Mandalay for another trip...

Level Contributor
35 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mandalay or not?

Wow - only four days? The heat in Bagan will be too exhausting to handle Mandalay right after.

We actually loved Mandalay, but with so little time, perhaps you can just live vicariously through pictures: erohisms.com/photos-in-and-outside-of-mandal…

Mentioned in this post
Mandalay
Mandalay
Mandalay Region, Myanmar
Brooktondale
Level Contributor
155 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mandalay or not?

Just doesn't make sense to include Mandalay. Not a bad place but not worth the extra travel time with only 4 days.

Mentioned in this post
Mandalay
Mandalay
Mandalay Region, Myanmar
6. Re: Mandalay or not?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 9:06 am, March 19, 2013
Houston
Level Contributor
10 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mandalay or not?

It depends on what you like to see. For me, 1 day in bagan would be fine and then 1 day at Inle, skipping Mandalay altogether which I would rank last out of the big four (Bagan, Inle, Yangon and Mandalay)

Mentioned in this post
Mandalay
Mandalay
Mandalay Region, Myanmar
Pantin, France
Destination Expert
for Myanmar
Level Contributor
834 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mandalay or not?

To Huyen,

I supposed that you work for a travel agency. Please keep in mind that TA is simply a place to ask and answer, not to promote your business.

I recommend you to change the signature " Thu Huyen - Exotic Voyages "

yangon
Level Contributor
11 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Mandalay or not?

Mirna,

If you have only 4 days, pls skip Mandalay.

Even if you take flight you will need two full days in Bagan.

the first and last day you still have to stop over in Yangon.

Unless you skip Yangon and fly into Mandalay.

Remember to take River Boat in Bagan which is not too expensive only around $20 for 1 hr ride.

You can spend one day sunset view on river boat and one day sunset view on shwesandaw pagoda.

enjoy staying.

Mentioned in this post
Mandalay
Mandalay
Mandalay Region, Myanmar
10. Re: Mandalay or not?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, March 21, 2014