We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Inle Lake to Bagan

London, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Inle Lake to Bagan

Hi all,

I will be travelling to Burma next month. We are starting our trip in Yangon and then on to Thazi and then Inle Lake. I was wondering what is the best/fastest way to get from inle to Bagan (as we are rather limited for time) The train journey seems to take nearly a whole day. Does anyone know if there are any buses that do this journey or how much a taxi would cost? Alternatively is it possibly to fly between the two destinations. Any help on this subject would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Level Contributor
118 posts
1 review
Save Reply
11. Re: Inle Lake to Bagan

Also new low cost carrier Golden Myanmar Airline has just started, but not sure of routes. Flies Yangon-Bagan for $40. See forum tripadvisor.com.au/ShowTopic-g294190-i9408-k…

Edited: 7:58 am, February 18, 2013
WAshington, DC
Level Contributor
37 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Inle Lake to Bagan

Is the drive NICE?? meaning WORTH the time? Any opinions on going to Mt. Popo?? Worth it?? Thanks

Tokyo, Japan
Destination Expert
for Hakone-machi, Minato
Level Contributor
6,716 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: Inle Lake to Bagan

It depends on what you mean by "nice." Highways are few and far in between. Your average road is not necessarily smooth. It can take quite a while from point A to B. If you have a car, a driver and guide, it can be pleasant. But don't watch how the driver passes up slower moving vehicles or honks multiple times. :-) A van is nicer than a car as you're up higher and you can see the scenery better. If you need multiple toilet breaks, it might be a problem. There's a lovely place that the guides stop at to observe local liquor making, sugar making, tea making, etc., which have CLEAN squatty potty toilets.

Personally, I enjoyed the ride from Bagan to Mt. Popo and it was "worth it" to see a local "tourist" stop which the local tourists also go to. It's not necessarily "clean" or a "wow moment" (although the view from up top is nice), but it does get your mind moving. Our photographs speak a thousand words and no moment went "wasted." I had read many posts, pros and cons (mostly cons), about Mt. Popo prior to our visit, and I asked myself that same question while we were there. What would I suggest? If you have the time, and want to see another "view" of Myanmar, do go. Go all the way up to the top. And by all means, walk around the "village" afterwards. It's a different world than what you see in Bagan or Yangon.

If you're taking a local bus, you'll probably have lots of company. And will take a lot longer than by private hire.

FYI, I just asked my husband, and he said, "Yeah, definitely worth it. You know how those photographs look so much better?" Then he went on to give a rambling dissertation about how it was a reality check on where the country has been for the past umpteen years and where it wants to go. :-)

Cesena, Italy
Level Contributor
9,029 posts
1,274 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Inle Lake to Bagan

definetely by bus

great experience

i spent 3 weeks there and if it can help u can visit my website born2travel.it

15. Re: Inle Lake to Bagan

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:15 am, February 21, 2014