We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A find for High Quality, Reasonably Priced Lacquerware

Tenafly, New Jersey
Level Contributor
1 post
162 reviews
82 helpful votes
A find for High Quality, Reasonably Priced Lacquerware

Bagan is famous for its beautiful lacquerware. There are many places to buy lacquerware with great variation in quality and price. I spent a lot of time looking for very good, reasonably priced lacquerware. I think the best combination of high quality and good price is from the shop of a very nice lady name Mar Mar Shwe. It is located in the north corridor of the Ananda Phaya (Pagoda) which is one of the very beautiful sights to see in Bagan.

New York City
1 post
1. Re: A find for High Quality, Reasonably Priced Lacquerware

Another source for excellent quality lacquer ware is in Yangon. I have purchased lacquer pieces from Myanmar Lacquerware Shop on two occasions over the years and it has stood the test of time very well indeed. Colleagues stationed in Yangon directed me there, as a better source than Scott Market. You will find many expatriate residents buying pieces there, as well as hand-woven cotton and silk goods. The shop is at No.7, 13th Street in Lanmadew Township in old Yangon. The street is narrow but the store keeps a parking spot reserved for clients. One of the doormen will come out and whisk the parking cones away as your car slows down. They will ship for you also. No bargaining but you may get a small "discount" if you buy several pieces. For assurance of quality, the prices are reasonable.

Edited: 12:19 pm, March 16, 2013
Kurashiki, Japan
Level Contributor
16,147 posts
92 reviews
140 helpful votes
2. Re: A find for High Quality, Reasonably Priced Lacquerware

I get mine at the Jasmine Family workshop in Myinkaba Village. I went back to Bagan again (first visit was in 2010) to stock up on more of their lovely creations. It is a small family business and they sell their wares to the larger stores.

You can see them making it on the premises, and it is 30% less than the large shops that sell to tourists.

Here's a map, you will need it as it is not a place tourists go to.

http://Jasminelacquer.notlong.com

I have photos of the area, the family, and Bagan in that album as well...

Edited: 8:00 pm, March 16, 2013
Kurashiki, Japan
Level Contributor
16,147 posts
92 reviews
140 helpful votes
3. Re: A find for High Quality, Reasonably Priced Lacquerware

I have to make a comment about the "lacquerware" sold at the vendors in the temples. A vast majority of that is not true lacquerware. It may be 2 or 3 layers of black lacquer over which enamel paints have been applied. Lacquer does NOT come in colors like purple, white or blue, so if you see those you will know it is not real lacquerware. And yes, it is very inexpensive. It will also chip easily, buyer beware!

Real lacquerware has up to 11 applications of lacquer and can takeup to 4 months to finish one piece.

This is what real lacquerware looks like

http://lacquerbgn.notlong.com

Tuscany, Italy
Level Contributor
179 posts
128 reviews
57 helpful votes
4. Re: A find for High Quality, Reasonably Priced Lacquerware

I can confirm what Maneki-neko says-

very grateful she gave this great tip (in previous posts) to buy at Jasmine family in Bagan. They have the most beautiful lacquerware I saw, and wonderful creations too, much cheaper than in other places and I felt very good and happy I could support this family as most of the guides bring the tourist to the golden cuckoo or other places because they get commissions!

Take a bike or a taxi and visit the Jasmine family, they are lovely people, they also pack the things very well for transportation.

Yangon (Rangoon...
Level Contributor
1 post
5 reviews
2 helpful votes
5. Re: A find for High Quality, Reasonably Priced Lacquerware

I can also recommend Jasmine Family for lacquerware. They give a really interesting demonstration of how the lacquerware is made and it is nice to see the different family members involved in the process. It makes a nice change from visiting pagodas and well worth the little detour off the main road to find them. Another good place, with a slightly larger selection is Mya Thaw Tar which is on the main road in Myinkapar village. We rode to Myinkapar on bicycles from Old Bagan and it was a great way to explore the area.

Yangon (Rangoon...
Level Contributor
21 posts
6. Re: A find for High Quality, Reasonably Priced Lacquerware

You can buy at the Nandawun: Myanmar Gems and Crafts Shop in Yangon too.

Address: No 55, Baho Road

Corner of Baho & Ahlone Road

Ahlone Township

Yangon

Myanmar

Tel:: 01-221271, 214708

Bangkok
Level Contributor
27 posts
7. Re: A find for High Quality, Reasonably Priced Lacquerware

Updated information about a traveler who bought lacquerware in Bagan mingalapar.com/forum/…

Kurashiki, Japan
Level Contributor
16,147 posts
92 reviews
140 helpful votes
8. Re: A find for High Quality, Reasonably Priced Lacquerware

#7 Too bad the guy missed out on Jasmine family lacquerware shop, they have a very beautiful selection of work at almost half the price of the big shops that cater to tourists (and they are happy to bargain if you buy numerous pieces). It is right off the main road, I povided a map in my post #2. I have been to Bagan on 2 seperate occasions and have seen a LOT of lacquerware in Bagan (& other places) and that is my favorite place so far.

Jupiter, Florida
Level Contributor
36 posts
70 reviews
35 helpful votes
9. Re: A find for High Quality, Reasonably Priced Lacquerware

The pictures look beautiful. What would I expect to pay US for a tray or plate? I am not very good at bargaining. I will be in Bagan and Yangon late October. Thanks for your help.

Kurashiki, Japan
Level Contributor
16,147 posts
92 reviews
140 helpful votes
10. Re: A find for High Quality, Reasonably Priced Lacquerware

At the place I suggested, between $20 & $30 dependihg on size and workmanship. No ned to be bargaining much at Jasmine's little shop,the prices are far lower thna thatof the normal shops that cater to most tourists.