We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Round trip Yangon - Bagan by train or bus?

Durham, NC
Level Contributor
20 posts
49 reviews
Save Topic
Round trip Yangon - Bagan by train or bus?

On different sites I've seen different schedules for the train. Can anyone with recent experience tell me what the schedule is now, or will be in November?

And which is preferable, the sleeper train or express bus? The difference in cost doesn't matter to me.

In general, what level of comfort can I expect? I've been sleeping on overnight buses in Malaysia, and been on a night T train in China. That train was nicer, but both suited me well.

Mentioned in this post
yangon
Destination Expert
for Bagan
Level Contributor
560 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Round trip Yangon - Bagan by train or bus?

Buses are comfortable than train in Myanmar.

Yangon to Mandalay ; Bagan ; Inlay lake sectors have nice buses.

Train are bumping and experience for short sectors are recommended.

Yangon to Bago or Taungoo ;

Mandalay to Maymyo ;

Maymyo to Hsipaw ;

Thazi to Kalaw ;

Kalaw to Shwe Nyaung ;

Sectors are recommended for train lovers.

Mentioned in this post
Mandalay
Mandalay
Mandalay Region, Myanmar
Thazi
Thazi
Mandalay Region, Myanmar
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
44 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Round trip Yangon - Bagan by train or bus?

Plan to leave Yangon at evening 6 or 8 pm to Bagan by night bus. Should arrive at Bagan next morning 6 am. I think is possibe to get some sleep in the bus. Plan to spend 2 days in Bagan.

Then leave bagan by bus to Mandalay. I suppose there is buses bagan to Mandalay. Need advise on departure time and duration of journey.

Plan to spend 2 days in Mandalay then fly back to Yangon.

I need advise is this itinerary alright ?

Mentioned in this post
Mandalay
Mandalay
Mandalay Region, Myanmar
3. Re: Round trip Yangon - Bagan by train or bus?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:18 am, January 23, 2013