We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visit to Banda Acheh

Kuala Lumpur...
3 posts
Save Topic
Visit to Banda Acheh

Hi there,

i planned to visit banda Acheh this coming July with hubby to witness the development of the same after Tsunami. Need advice on:

(i) the food

(ii) the people

(iii) the hotel - wud there be plenty of decent rooms that we can just walk in without prior booking?

(iii) shopping places for souvenirs

Baiturrahman Grand Mosque
Sacred & Religious Sites
PLTD Apung 1
Points of Interest & Landmarks, Specialty Museums
7 replies to this topic
London, United...
Level Contributor
3,101 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visit to Banda Acheh

Not many replies! I was last there in 198!. The food is spicy and served as a series of dishes which you choose from. The coffee is also strong and good. The people are very friendly - just be mindful of local norms and customs. There use to be many Ducth colonial buildings but many of these will have now gone. There were a couple of souvenir shops in the market.

2. Re: Visit to Banda Acheh

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 3:05 am, November 10, 2011

Kuala Lumpur...
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Visit to Banda Acheh

hi there,

at last i visited Banda Acheh last march 2012 with hubby. we stayed at Sulthan Hotel. the Hotel employees are nice, friendly and helpful. yeah, the food is quite spicy and i had diarhoea during the visit. careful of the water you drink. take lots of mineral water.

looking at the pics of the victims of the tsunami tragedy really touched us ... the sunset is really awesome... dont forget to go to Pantai Wisata Ujong Bate to witness the sunset!!!!

i must say, this is a nice place to visit if you wish to have a quiet holiday especially the beaches.

Oulu, Oulu, Finland
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visit to Banda Acheh

is it necessary to wear burghda for foreigners in banda aceh

Petaling Jaya...
Level Contributor
13 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Visit to Banda Acheh

Better late than never. No you don't need to wear burqa in South East Asia Country. Just don't walk around in bikini and hot pants in villages out of respect and safety.

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Visit to Banda Acheh

Hi banda aceh very busy friendly place . You can live well here reasonable hotel only £20 . Eat in street cafe £1.50 food is good have been here two weeks and have no problems with eating street food. You can get any kind of food even KFC .you really need to speak a little Indonesian I recommend Berlitz phrase book., nobody realy speaks English. Travel easy on motorbike but walking in town I would not recommend as too hard to cross roads which are very busy, you can cross but cars, motorbike ,lorry, fill the road and if you do cross the road their is a big kerb to jump up. Betchup motorbike taxi is probably best and are very cheat a £1 will get you anywhere but always ask price first and make it clear where you want to go. I

The drivers will treat you well and will take you sight seeing to all tsunami sights I spend most of the time in villages around and go to beautiful waterfall about one hours ride on winding mountains roads to lloong lots of butterfly and very cold water. People here are realy poor so if you have any shoes shirts anything you do not want bring it to give to villagers who have no jobs so no money live by sharing they will not be too proud to wear our through outs we all bye things that we don't wear or do not fit so pack a few and give away, you will return like me and find them still using , the old mobile I had finished with, the clothes even a broken camera , a potatoe masher take pride of place in samsara house, the phone he has used for last 9 years and still looks good it gets polished every day, so please bring your throwaways they will get used. Be prepared for rubbish everywhere outside they have no idea about litter and just through it wherever they are not in the houses which are very clean but outside there own door they will through paper ,plastic anything the roads are littered and on small roads even worse I think it is rubbish from banda aceh dumped by lorry. They realy need some kind of hygiene education. Answer to your question I have stayed at sulthan hotel. Bang in the midle great location . Clean and very happy staff willing to help even when I got my Indonesian muddled and asked for tempat duduk instead of handuk. First means chair second means towel. As you may understand I wanted towels not the chair I got. One last thing if you are not happy with room tell them and you will get moved to better one my friends have just arrived so I must go but do come to banda aceh and bring something extra I came air Asia and had no problem with extra baggage charge

7. Re: Visit to Banda Acheh

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 5:05 am, March 12, 2014

Reply to: Visit to Banda Acheh
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted