We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tana Toraja questions

Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
37 posts
Save Topic
Tana Toraja questions

dear all, we are going to Tana Toraja in a few weeks and just have a few simple questions - hope somebody who has been there can help us with some suggestions

- We will drive from Makassar to Tana Toraja departing early morning; is there anything to see on the way? Any sights or 'must-see's' that is worthwhile including the in trip or should we just go straight to Tana Toraja (I know it's a long trip, so only quick stops if any)

- Does anybody has recommendations of places to stay in Rantepao?

- What's the best way of finding out whether there are any funerals scheduled?

Thanks in advance

14 replies to this topic
New York
Level Contributor
16 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Tana Toraja questions

Thanks Josh and leopang for your suggestions.

12. Re: Tana Toraja questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 9:36 pm, June 18, 2012

Sydney
Level Contributor
21 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Tana Toraja questions

I am going to Tana Toraja in October and then onto the Spice Islands. I have the choice of an 8 hour bus ride for a very moderate price, and can line up a guide on arrival. Alternatively I have contacted quite a few tour operators and for a three night trip with driver and guide, the least expensive is US $475 all inclusive, which to me seems very expensive. I would benefit from opinions based on those who have been there. I gather there is not a lot to see in Makassar?

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
1,169 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Tana Toraja questions

Hi Goanna,

Re: your quote of USD 475. It seems expensive but...

#1-Are you travelling solo...is this a tour for one person employing 2 people for 3 days?

#2-Which hotel are they using in Rantepao?

#3-What do you mean by all inclusive?

#4-Have you researched whoever is offering you the tour at this price? Any reliable reviews on TA or elsewhere?

Re: Makassar. There really is nothing to see.

Reply to: Tana Toraja questions
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted