We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safwety of the overnight from Makassar to Tana Toraja?

Which Rantepao hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Colorado
Level Contributor
1,193 posts
260 reviews
Save Topic
Safwety of the overnight from Makassar to Tana Toraja?

We will b landing at Makassar and would like to continue on the overnight bus to Tana Toraja area. Are there any bus lines that are better- read - safer for us to take. How safe are the night buses generally?

than you

21 replies to this topic
Melaka
Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Safwety of the overnight from Makassar to Tana Toraja?

Thank you for the reply. How long will it takes to reach Makassar town from Airport? 30 minutes or 45 minutes for a 20km journey? Since we are facing time constraint, it's not possible for us to spend 8hours on day time to travel to Tana Toraja. Where can we get the bus ticket to Tana Toraja in Makassar? What is the terminal name and what air cond bus is good? Actually, we are thinking of taking flight to Rantepao but it seemed the flight is not longer in service. Thank you once again

Sanur Bali
Level Contributor
2,394 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Safwety of the overnight from Makassar to Tana Toraja?

Exli, You really have no idea about traveling within Sulawesi. If your time is restricted FORGET IT.

Tana Toraja is not just up the street from Makassar.

If your time is limited DO NOT bother even going there.

It would be best to plan your holiday in a different way.

Madrid, Spain
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Safwety of the overnight from Makassar to Tana Toraja?

Hi,

we are landing at 22.00 at Makassar airport and want to travel to Rantepao. As I have read here the buses seems to finish at 21.00. I can't find any website of the bus companies to consult the time table of the buses.

Do you know if there's any bus that we could take if we're landing at 22.00 at Makassar? or we'll have to stay in Makassar that night? in that case, do you recommend a good and cheap place to stay?

Thank you very much.

Malaysia
Level Contributor
9,213 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Safwety of the overnight from Makassar to Tana Toraja?

Contact this person for transportation & cheap accommodation at Makassar

*you also can call :

- +628124129913

- +62411 5091644

E-mail : donow77@hotmail.com

Makassar, Indonesia
3 posts
Save Reply
15. Re: Safwety of the overnight from Makassar to Tana Toraja?

confortable bus you can reserve

litha&co

metro

new liman

Makassar, Indonesia
3 posts
Save Reply
16. Re: Safwety of the overnight from Makassar to Tana Toraja?

hi, the last bus leaving for toraja 22.00 from makassar

from airport take a taxi try to DAYA bus station

if there is no bus you can stay one night in hotel near from bus station

depacture time in morning 8.00 and 10.00

for details info please mail me : indonesiaparadiso@hotmail.com

thnaks

Makassar, Indonesia
3 posts
Save Reply
17. Re: Safwety of the overnight from Makassar to Tana Toraja?

confortable bus you can reserve

litha&co

metro

new liman

Denver, CO
Level Contributor
7 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Safwety of the overnight from Makassar to Tana Toraja?

Since no one has addressed the "safety" part of this question, I will.

I am a solo female traveler. I've been to Tana Toraja twice now for work, using both day and night buses - Metro, Lithia, and there's another new company whose name I don't remember.

The buses are comfortable but sometimes drivers crank the A/C and/ or music/ video.

However, during the night the music is far less likely; it's VERY possible to get a decent night's sleep on the bus and wake up ready to go the next morning.

In terms of safety - just use your head. Don't flash valuables or money; keep your bag(s) with you (or watch them go in and out of the hold, with NO valuables inside).

It also doesn't hurt to ask the bus driver and/ or porter to watch out for you. I know my host did this for me and I felt especially looked after.

Try to get a seat near the front of the bus (you can reserve seats by number).

If you haven't been to Toraja before, it's a MUST to take a day bus at least one way to enjoy the breathtaking scenery. Otherwise, the night bus is great as you go to sleep and a few hours later wake up at your destination.

Also as a single female traveler, I felt MUCH safer on the bus than struggling to get a taxi and spend the night at a hotel in Makassar. I don't find MAK to be a friendly city for tourists AT ALL - and I've traveled all over Indonesia and southeast Asia without incident, except there.

Good luck, and enjoy Toraja!!!

Level Contributor
5 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Safwety of the overnight from Makassar to Tana Toraja?

We want to travel this August with nightbus from Tana Toraja to Makassar airport. Do all major bus companies have a stop at the aiport before they arrive at Makassar City?

20. Re: Safwety of the overnight from Makassar to Tana Toraja?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:12 am, February 20, 2016

Reply to: Safwety of the overnight from Makassar to Tana Toraja?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted