We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fenghuang or Zhenyuan?

Israel
Level Contributor
31 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
Fenghuang or Zhenyuan?

Does it worth visiting both towns?

they look kind of the same...but maybe I am wrong.

if I have time - does it worth to visit both villages?

thanks!

5 replies to this topic
P W
Chongqing, China
Level Contributor
11 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fenghuang or Zhenyuan?

If you haven't been yet. they are quite different although both are on rivers. It's been a few years since I visited either but FH is bigger with more to see but far more commercial. Zhenyuan is quieter with a few special spots and it's own 'Great Wall' above the town. There are several old wells a school and some older houses.

Hard choice but you could pass through them both like I did on way to other destinations.

Guiyang, China
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Fenghuang or Zhenyuan?

Zhenyuan is much better, because Fenghuang looks more touristic, and there are too many tourists in Fenghuang. Zhenyuan is a nice town with long history, old architectures.

australia
Level Contributor
857 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fenghuang or Zhenyuan?

Hi

Some good info at this site

travelchinaguide.com/attraction/…wuyanghe.htm

I posted this some time ago

I have been to Zhenyuan and did like the town

It doesn't appear be on the western travellers radar

Has interesting architecture and on the river of course

Sadly for me it was in a drought period and the gorge trip wasnt that spectacular

Lots of accomodation ,expensive and some places dont accept westerners. Did not see any westerners at all in my days there

The old temple , mentioned in the LP has been converted into a hostel and its an impressive place .

Dont remember the name but is over the bridge , turn left and about 100 metres along the road on the right , easy to walk past it but there is a huge flight of very steep steps from its temple days leading up to it ,

I was told that it's extremely busy on weekends as the chinese use it as a weekend getaway

I was not approached by any locals re accomodation

I came by bus from Kaili and back by train to Kaili

Bus goes by Shidong

Cheers

Edited: 04 October 2012, 6:50

Yes , Have been to Fenghuang , again its one of those ''old towns'' thats been disneyfied and its not far off being another Lijiang as far as the number of chinese tourists go . Masses of them

There are chinese tourists in Zhenyuan but nowhere near anything like Feng

The gorge area is Wuyang .

Never saw the ''great wall'' but you can walk through the alley ways and get high above the town for some great evening views .

Well worth the visit.

Feng does have a very neat piece of theirr old town left which is rather spectacular in the evening

but for me that was it

If you havent seen a disneyfied ''ancient town'' then its worth a visit

Cheers

Edited: 7:27 am, May 11, 2014
Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
40,697 posts
826 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fenghuang or Zhenyuan?

I found Zhenyuan also fairly touristy with the bus tours and the loud speakers of tour guides. somewhat more quiet at night except that our room was on the river and the KTV across the river was pretty loud until quite late.

I would not go to Zhenyuan just to go to Zhenyuan. It should be part of a trip in Guizhou otherwise not really worth the big detour.

Probably the same issue with Fenghuang so it depends on your itinerary.

australia
Level Contributor
857 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fenghuang or Zhenyuan?

Hi

As JP says

'' I would not go to Zhenyuan just to go to Zhenyuan''

Agree with this , I was in Kaili , as a base, went up for a couple of days by bus and back by train.

I guess I was fortunate as it was quiet on the tourist front , nothing at all like Feng

Cheers

Reply to: Fenghuang or Zhenyuan?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted