We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rhino

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
17,662 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Rhino

I have a question about seeing rhino in the crater. I have a particular interest in the rhino...it is quite prehistoric looking, and as a former anthropology major (emphasis in archeology) I am quite enamored of the rhino! (has nothing to do with "big five" as I'm not sure I could even tell you which animals ARE the big 5)

In keeping with this interest, i have read that the best time to see rhino in the Crater is late afternoon rather than early morning, plus the advantage of fewer vehicles around. Can the regulars confirm or refute this? We have to decide when to go into the crater and...we leave next week!

Unfortunately, back to the doctor tomorrow as I am no better. ;-(

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
2,248 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Rhino

In the crater -- saw mom rhino and juvenile at what I believe was around 9:00 a.m. We actually got a call on our radio while we were having a boxed breakfast at the picnic area and high-tailed it to the main road where they were approaching a line of vehicles waiting patiently for a crossing. They approached with some considerable caution for about 15 minutes, reaching the road and crossing at a bit of a run behind our vehicle. Once across, they stopped running and began to move away again. The entire sighting lasted twenty minutes or so.

Our first safari had been in South Africa, where we had seen many, many white rhino, but no black. White rhino are much larger, generally more predictable and placid, and seem comfortable with the presence of safari vehicles. The black rhinos in the crater seem skittish and very wary of vehicles, which is probably why they are so frequently seen only at a distance. I'm not sure that the time of day matters at all -- only luck, and the decisions made by individual black rhinos as to where they want to be and whether or not that will be anywhere near you.

My best advice -- and it is both advice from experience and advice I'm passing on from those who taught me -- is not to worry about what you'll see or even how to maximize your chances of seeing anything in particular. The best laid plans of mice and men, they say . . . You simply cannot predict nature. She will show you what she wants you to see, and she will conceal from you anything she's of a mind to conceal, and there's pretty much nothing you can do about it.

I have been in the exact place I was "supposed to be" to see the migration and twice found that it was, in fact, elsewhere. I have seen animals do things I was told "they don't do," and I have seen things happen in the wild that I was assured never happens. Conversely, I have been promised experiences which have never materialized, however common they are on safari. Each moment in the wild is a matter of pure chance, and if it is your time to see a black rhino, you will see a black rhino -- and if it is not your time, you will not. But I do promise you that if you do not, you will see something else that will more than compensate for your disappointment. Nature has always been fair in her presentations to me on safari -- I have never come away believing that she gave me less than her best.

Some of my most profound safari memories were not the expected -- or even hoped for -- moments, but the unexpected ones. The ones where you simply can't believe you're seeing what you're seeing.

Siouxxie -- are you down to counting the hours yet?

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
17,662 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Rhino

i will of course be thrilled just to step foot on Tanzanian soil, since it has been my dream for so long. we will stick with the morning drive so as to not affect the rest of the day.

no counting hours yet...at this point i just hope to be upright and on the plane. as said, Mother Nature will take care of the rest.

nyc
Level Contributor
15,011 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: Rhino

When in the crater and at quite a distance it was a mom and calf at about 11am.... didn't bother with pics. Never seen any in the Serengeti.

Most i've ever seen, besides in South Africa's Sabi Sands/Kruger (they were everywhere it seemed) - was in Kenya where at Meru they have a Rhino sanctuary (not sure how many total reside here), Lewa has lots of black and white, Lk. Nakuru has many white and there's a tiny protected area in the very north Masai Mara where on 1st visit saw 1/male, 2/female; next time 1/male, 1/female, 1/calf. aThose in Kenya lways rather close that you could almost reach out and touch (but you don't).

South Riding VA
Level Contributor
625 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Rhino

Siouxxie,

Nothing to add to the rhino thoughts, except we can't fret over having to see something. We'll see what we do and it will be unbelievable! You and I are in the same boat as first timers.

Here's what I wanted to ask: what did the doc say? chris

State College, Pa
Level Contributor
788 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Rhino

Have seen then both in morning and afternoon. If the morning is cool and windy most likely they will be bedded down, standing up for maybe a quick look-see. Been there in Nov, May and June. Have seen them at a distance where only binocs picked them up, had them literally walk next to vehicle and distances inbetween. One sighting (May 2012) was at end of morning drive so it would have been around 1pm and we spied one in the yellow acacia forest near the ascending road on way out of crater. Had that one rhino all to ourselves as it moved among the trees on crater floor. On same trip had another one on short grass plains area within distance for pic taking. Loads of vehicles there as a cheetah was walking along in same area.

As others have mentioned it can be a hit or miss thing. At least for the times we have been there unless a chilly rainy day I would go for mid-morning arrival in the crater to cover time well into the afternoon to increase chances. Since rhino is the target species would not have to worry about missing say lions and the like which sometimes are early morning targets.

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
864 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Rhino

Siouxxii I would also were much like to hear what the doc had to say. Please.

17. Re: Rhino

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, January 08, 2015