We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

"Day Trip" to the Crater

Which Ngorongoro Conservation Area hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Cologne, Germany
Level Contributor
927 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
"Day Trip" to the Crater

how much should I expect to pay for a day trip to the crater:

pick up at JRO or town hotel

drive to any of the crater lodges (don't really care which one, perhaps the cheapest)

full day crater tour

return to JRO or town hotel

how long is the drive from the Crater to JRO / town hotel? Would it make more sense to spend a second night at a Crater lodge and retunr the following day?

thanks

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
9,879 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: "Day Trip" to the Crater

I think Mfuwe has better bargaining skills than some of us.

Somewhere recently he gave out contact info for his car and driver contact in Tanzania Maybe Roger would be helpful.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
36,612 posts
342 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: "Day Trip" to the Crater

The price will include the empty return to Arusha.

I think most Private Hires in Arusha would do this. Specify you do not need 4x4. These are good tar roads as far as Ngorongoro Gate and from there even the Murram surface is fine for 2WD.

Cologne, Germany
Level Contributor
927 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: "Day Trip" to the Crater

just a quick update for those interested:

I have contacted (as a result of a quick google search) half a dozen companies and received four different quotes between 230 US$ and 360 US$ - however, Tanur from Rhino Lodge recommended yet another driver and he wil do the transfer for a mere 150 US$ - which shows the value of asking the right questions here at TA...I would probably have accepted a much higher rate, had Mfuwe not pointed me in the "right" direction, so thanks once again

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
36,612 posts
342 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: "Day Trip" to the Crater

I call that a result Oliver. Well done.

25. Re: "Day Trip" to the Crater

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, July 04, 2014