We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Extra day in Serengeti or Ngorongoro Crater?

Newcastle, New...
Level Contributor
15 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
Extra day in Serengeti or Ngorongoro Crater?

Hi,

We are doing an 8 day safari (max. time available) at the end of November and in our itinerary we are already doing two half days and one full day in the Serengeti and a camping night at the rim of the crater with a 6hr drive on the crater floor the next day and we have the option of doing;

1) Extra full day in the Serengeti

2) Extra full day in Ngorongoro Crater - is a walk safari or a drive safari best to see animals in this area?

What are the ideal times to spend in either of these areas?? Our main aim is to see as many animals as possible.

Newcastle, New...
Level Contributor
15 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Extra day in Serengeti or Ngorongoro Crater?

Ill be going into Tanzania from Mzuzu, Malawi to Mbeya, Tanzania. Has anyone done this route?

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,436 posts
360 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Extra day in Serengeti or Ngorongoro Crater?

Thanks,

2, is a bit dubious but 1 & 3 look like a simple misunderstanding to me. To allege Extortion is a bit OTT to me.

Eurabonny,

I don't recognise 'Mzuzu' but assume this is the route up Nyasa? If so that is well used and no problem. It is where you are gong after Mbeya that may make make a difference. See my post about Katavi area.

Kolkata (Calcutta...
Level Contributor
26 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Extra day in Serengeti or Ngorongoro Crater?

Hi Eurabony,

Your tour is well paced out. My only suggestion would be to cover Oldupai gorge on your way to Serengetti as it would be on the way. Unless you decide to trek to the actual site ie cover only the museum & the site from the viewing platform it should not take more than an hour or so maximum. This would leave you with more time for the game drive on the way back for a relaxed drive back to Arusha. If you have time do stop by the Masai Museum & Snake Park near Arusha for a much better experience than any Masai Boma around Ngorongoro, which I would suggest to avoidm as they are a complete tourist trap & a rip off.

All the best

24. Re: Extra day in Serengeti or Ngorongoro Crater?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, July 14, 2013