We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mobile phone coverage across multiple countries

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Mobile phone coverage across multiple countries

We are about to head to Rwanda, Tanzania, Botswana, Zambia, Zimbabwe and South Africa. Will my Aussie mobile work across all these countries and will I be able to buy one SIM locally that will work across all countries?

Mentioned in this post
Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Ngorongoro Conservation Area
Level Contributor
12,485 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mobile phone coverage across multiple countries

I don't think so. You may get one to work in several of these countries, but for all of them I doubt it.

I was in many West African countries last year and I got a SIM which ended up working in about half of them. I would always just wait and see if the SIM card would work and use it, if it didn't then I would go out and get a SIM card for that country and hope for the best when I got to the next country.

SIM cards are very inexpensive so I would worry all that much about it.

I use a Vodacom SIM in Tanzania and that also works as a Safaricom in Kenya, and vice versa.

Mentioned in this post
Kenya
Kenya
Africa
Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
33,099 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mobile phone coverage across multiple countries

There was a similar question last year. Local SIMs work locally, and are expensive when roaming.

An Aussie phone will cover all the countries at reasonable cost. Search the main Aussie Telco's for the global roaming package one of them does.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
13,322 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mobile phone coverage across multiple countries

Yes we visited all those countries last year and my phone worked perfectly well in all of them.

I haveTelstra global roaming. Since i dont make or receive many calls - and mostly use texting if I have to communicate - I never bother with buying an in country SIM. I just stick with roaming and have never had an exorbitant bill

4. Re: Mobile phone coverage across multiple countries

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:42 am, June 20, 2013