We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Google or not, no webste for NCA with fees and purchase

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
10,621 posts
138 reviews
Save Topic
Google or not, no webste for NCA with fees and purchase

I have tried numerous ways to find some listing of costs and methods of purchase for using the NCA or entering the Crater. As I am trying to make my own arrangements, I need to figure out costs and methods of payment. Thanks

Saint Paul...
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Serengeti National Park
Level Contributor
1,826 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Google or not, no webste for NCA with fees and purchase

This is currently in flux. The crater is now using a card system but it is different from the TANAPA system. The NCA requires that you use pre-loaded cards. Not sure how you get them and how you re-load. Well, I don't know, but my team knows, obviously, but the system itself appears to still be in test mode and thus things are expected to change. This caused a great amount of debate on our team. It seems right now that it is not so easy to change your agenda on the fly at the crater any more. You need to make up your mind before getting there. At least that's the way it seems to be right now. If possible you may want to wait a bit while they figure out the system themselves.

Crane Lake...
Level Contributor
536 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Google or not, no webste for NCA with fees and purchase

Glad to have you back. Enjoyed the posts of your trip. I know we are not sure now many times we will be going into the crater but we will learn the ropes soon.

Crapshoooter2

Vancouver Island...
Level Contributor
429 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Google or not, no webste for NCA with fees and purchase

If you stay on the rim (eg Serena/Sopa) how do the fees work? Do you pay NCA fees, Crater fees? I was wondering if you arrived in the afternoon too late to do a game drive are you still required to pay park fees for the day of arrival as well as your descent the next morning?

Edited: 7:23 pm, January 26, 2012
Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
10,621 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Google or not, no webste for NCA with fees and purchase

Thanks Brian. I had heard there was flux and that this new card was causing tons of headaches. I had just hoped to find a relevant website. If I could ensure that I could pay it by Credit card (I am concerned that I need to buy a wad of $US and carry it around for a month before I travel - not a comfortable feeling) then I would be more patient about things.

Well, I'll try again in a couple of months, I guess.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
10,621 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Google or not, no webste for NCA with fees and purchase

Cheffip, I think there are NCA fees and then Crater fees. $50 for use of NCA land and then $200 for the 6 hour allowed time to drive in the crater. Now, if in the hotel on the rim, not sure if you have to pay the NCA fees. I expect they are already worked into your accommodation costs. There was a whole bruhaha this summer as the NCA upped their fees and no one knew who was responsible for collecting the extra amount on those travellers who had prepaid - but I think the traveller had to cough it up. Can't recall if they paid to the hotel, or the TO.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,436 posts
360 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Google or not, no webste for NCA with fees and purchase

I thought the bruhaha (hiatus) was for National Parks not NCA??

However to answer the Q, NCA fees are payable per 24 hours from entry at either end gate. So for resting overnight at a Lodge within NCA, on the rim or Ndutu area, you need a valid permit.

That is why a lot of Lodges in Karatu score by dodgng this need for a permit. (It is one of their only advantages so we can forgive them one!)

Despite having a valid NCA permit you need to pay "Extra" to descend to the Crater for your visit. There is no accommodation down there now so the fee is per visit not per 24 hours.

So chefip's scenario does not arise. Arrivng in the pm at the Lodge on the rim is covered and the Crater visit is done next day OR you could descend immediately, if time, and pay a fee and descend again on the morrow for another fee! Your call!

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
10,621 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Google or not, no webste for NCA with fees and purchase

Ta,mfuwe, for spelling it out - possibly better than I could.

Edited: 8:01 am, January 27, 2012
nyc
Level Contributor
14,662 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Google or not, no webste for NCA with fees and purchase

Arriving Ngorongoro in the afternoon (assume too late for crater tour or just to chill) you pays your $50 which is good for 24/hrs till same time next day. Next morning you can do the crater tour ($200 for vehicle to go down, spend the 6/hrs) and return to rim.

If you then overnight on the rim, other than departing and maybe staying in Karatu, as at Ngorongoro Farmhouse) and the 24/hrs from previous day has expired (which it will have), you pay another $50 which is good thru next morning when you depart the NCA.

That's about it!

Edited: 4:52 pm, January 27, 2012
9. Re: Google or not, no webste for NCA with fees and purchase

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:25 am, April 14, 2013