We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice on the Ngorongoro Wildlife Lodge crater rim walk

Which Ngorongoro Conservation Area hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
269 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Advice on the Ngorongoro Wildlife Lodge crater rim walk

While on safari in August my friends & I would like to get out of the 4x4 and spend a couple hours one day walking around.

We're staying 2 nights at the Ngorongoro Wildlife Lodge and noticed that they have crater rim walks towards Lake Eyasi. Is this worth taking? Or are there other better, short, easy walks that folks can recommend? I've read some comments about walking around the Ngorongoro Sopa Lodge -- is that something we can join with (even if we don't stay there, though perhaps we should try to switch) or are there other nice walks.

We're staying 3 nights in the Masai Mara at the Serena, 1 night in the western Serengeti at Mbalageti, 2 nights in the central Serengeti at the Kati Kati tents, then 2 nights at Ngorongoro Wildlife Lodge and 2 nights at Tarangire Safari Lodge, so we're open to taking a trek at any of those locations.

Also I've heard some folks have done microlight flights while on safari -- are there any options for that near where we're staying?

Thanks so much!

nyc
Level Contributor
14,424 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice on the Ngorongoro Wildlife Lodge crater rim walk

Your agent can book a Crater Rim Walk, and no you do not have to be staying at the Sopa Lodge. Cost is about $50-60/person.

Pasadena, California
Level Contributor
344 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice on the Ngorongoro Wildlife Lodge crater rim walk

Is it a walk or is it a hike?

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
269 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice on the Ngorongoro Wildlife Lodge crater rim walk

Travelplum: not sure if your question was for me for 4sandi, but we're looking for a walk or light hike (up to 3 hours). Nothing overly strenuous -- while folks in our group have hiked Half Dome in Yosemite, I had a tough time just getting to Vernal Falls so maybe half as difficult as that, max :)

nyc
Level Contributor
14,424 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Advice on the Ngorongoro Wildlife Lodge crater rim walk

It's a "walk" , but not always on flat ground, kind of little ups/downs. However, bear in mind that the altitude on crater rim is a bit over 7,000-ft and "some" people have indicated that the ups/downs can give thighs a good exercise and others feel it's somewhat stenuous. Though not a hike and certainly not a trek. And done at a rather leisurely pace.

Pasadena, California
Level Contributor
344 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Advice on the Ngorongoro Wildlife Lodge crater rim walk

Thank you Sandi, that is just the information I needed to make a decision.

Pasadena, California
Level Contributor
344 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Advice on the Ngorongoro Wildlife Lodge crater rim walk

Opps, I guess I hijacked Peony's post.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
269 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Advice on the Ngorongoro Wildlife Lodge crater rim walk

No worries, Travelplum, good info was to be had! :) Sandi: $50-60/pp was a bit more than I expected, did you think the crater walk was worth it? Thanks!

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
36,627 posts
342 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Advice on the Ngorongoro Wildlife Lodge crater rim walk

Joins this thread shaking head in disbelief! US$60 pp just to walk for a couple of hours? Blimey. Unless you are heading somewhere interesting such as Oldeani, Olmoti or Empakai craters the walk should be 'free'. Anybody can do it with a local guide who will expect a tip for his trouble. Longer walks can be done but due to the presence of some wildlife it may be advisable to take along a Ranger (to protect the wildlife from disturbance by you!)

At most places peony is staying it is possible to arrange a 'walking Safari' if you take along a Ranger. $60?? Jee whiz! That is easy money.

9. Re: Advice on the Ngorongoro Wildlife Lodge crater rim walk

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:16 pm, October 02, 2012