We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How chilly is "chilly" at N. Crater?

Which Ngorongoro Conservation Area hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Hamilton, New Jersey
Level Contributor
217 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
How chilly is "chilly" at N. Crater?

I'm finally packing for my Tanzania trip and I've been told that when we camp at N. Crater it will be "chilly". I'm wondering what that means. Hat and gloves? Thermals? Bring my long down coat?(kidding of course!) Or it is more along the lines of, "you'll want to put a fleece on"?

I know everyone is different but I'm a bit perplexed at how chilly is chilly.

Thanks all!

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
11 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How chilly is "chilly" at N. Crater?

Just got back from Ngorongoro end of last week. It was chilly as in one extra layer warm clothing (wool sweater or fleece pullover or a mid-weight jacket). I did not require any winter hat/cap or gloves but a lightweight wool/fleece cap might come in handy if you are going into the crater early morning (6 AM). We used Good Earth Tours and they were phenomenal in providing a warm blanket, for that occasional chill in the early AM game drives.

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Ngorongoro Conservation Area
Level Contributor
12,484 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How chilly is "chilly" at N. Crater?

It might get down to 40F (4C) at night during their winter months (opposite of ours). So you might need a fleece fo when you're up and about outside, and a blanket or sleeping bag for camping at night. If you're in the lodge you probably won't notice it at all. When you go down into the crater it will warm up, and can get hot.

Cape Town
6 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: How chilly is "chilly" at N. Crater?

You'd want to put on a pair of jeans, socks, closed shoes and fleece. A beanie is good when sitting around the fire (if you're doing a camping tour).

If you are camping - depending on your sleeping bag and how hot / cold you get - you can buy a Masaai shuka - about USD30 (the blankets the Masaai wear as traditional clothing), fold it in half and put into your sleeping bag. The sleeping bag (and your tent) will insulate you and keep you warm.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
1,522 posts
1,010 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How chilly is "chilly" at N. Crater?

I bought Massai blankets in the various marketplaces from $5 to $8 each. Pick one up if you find it colder then you planned, or pick one up anyways!

5. Re: How chilly is "chilly" at N. Crater?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:16 am, October 12, 2012