We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vehicle Reductions in Ngorongoro crater coming soon?

Australia
Level Contributor
238 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Vehicle Reductions in Ngorongoro crater coming soon?

Interest article published the other day.

allafrica.com/stories/200908171446.html

I did not realise that up to 400 vehicles per day in the peak season descend into the crater!

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
731 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vehicle Reductions in Ngorongoro crater coming soon?

I think there are more then 400 on some days.

Yes, the gate attendent will say no, I am so sorry. We have now reached our daily limit of 400 cars! And the guests cannot go down into the Ngorongoro.

*10'000 schilling will pass form one hand to the other, and the car and it's clients will happly enter the con area*

Makes me laugh. And cannot wait to see the designated areas for the feeding and water holes for the cattle. Ask anyone that is out there now.. where are they going to get the water? Where will they eat as it is drought season.

Maybe they need to take some money out of the christmas fund. Or stop building their new buildings which is lovely 3 story building and HUGE gate for the entrence.

Mentioned in this post
Ngorongoro Conservation Area
Ngorongoro Conservation...
Arusha Region, Tanzania
Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Ngorongoro Conservation Area
Level Contributor
12,485 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vehicle Reductions in Ngorongoro crater coming soon?

Kim... I am certain you are correct on this.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
33,123 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Vehicle Reductions in Ngorongoro crater coming soon?

As a comparison, I saw 7 vehicles round a lion pride in Ruaha, and the guide was so apologetic. He'd never seen such "crowds" there before. Most vehicles seemed to be from outside the park (ie not from the lodges in the park).

Saint Paul...
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Serengeti National Park
Level Contributor
1,870 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Vehicle Reductions in Ngorongoro crater coming soon?

They need to get creative with a solution. Here are a few:

1) (I heard this one elsewhere) They could buy large, specially-designed buses that offer good viewing to everyone one (middle rows are raised for easy viewing over the the person on the window - and then this is what many people need to use.

2) Require a minimum of 4 passengers in a vehicle - no exceptions (or maybe an exception would be to raise the fee dramatically for those with less than 4 people to something like $400 or $500. I think a rule like this might encourage the practice of groups forming at the entrance and several vehicles being left at the top. This means people would have to deal with each other, but if you are going into the crater, then that is a reality anyway - isn't it?

3) Only one visit is allowed. Name of traveler is registered and no more 'double-dipping' into the crater. Too many people choose two descents there anyway and it's almost never really necessary.

Other ideas? Let's come up with some good ones and make recommendations.

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,485 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Vehicle Reductions in Ngorongoro crater coming soon?

Brian, count me out on number 1, why would i pay for a private safari and then climb on a giant safari bus.

I do think they should limit the number of descents, perhaps 1 a week would do; or perhaps limit the number of descents that a safari operator (on some kind of sliding scale) can make on any given day. But we all know that by slipping someone a 10,000/= note will get around most all of these rules.

Other then that if you really want to restrict the number of people in the crater then bump the fees up to where it begins to limit them.

I also think they should do this on Kilimanjaro also, those 20,000 folks tramping up that mountain every year, plus the porters, probably does more damage to the mountain then anything else could, especially with the trash they leave behind.

You can limit anything with fees which you charge.

Norfolk, UK
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Vehicle Reductions in Ngorongoro crater coming soon?

I don't think using buses, or mini-buses even, should be dismissed out of hand, maybe a combination of buses at a cheap rate and private vehicles at a much higher rate, with a fixed quota for each is the answer. The other alternative of making it too expensive for some people sounds a bit too elitist to me, a lot of people save hard and stretch their resources to be able to visit the crater.

My father-in-law was chief game warden there in the 1960's, when there was only one tourist lodge, and the place has changed dramatically. Wildlife is noticeably down in numbers (especially gazelle) and animal behaviour is changing, particularly the lions which are now completely unfazed by vehicles. Time was you'd struggle to get close to them.

Mentioned in this post
Ngorongoro Wildlife Lodge
Ngorongoro Wildlife Lodge
662 Reviews
Ngorongoro Conservation Area, Tanzania
Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,485 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Vehicle Reductions in Ngorongoro crater coming soon?

None of us will ever solve the problem of too many people in the crater. Why? Because we will always try to protect our own interests and be able to go down ourselves.

If the ministry wants to control the tourist population in the crater they will devise some way of doing it, which will probably be balanced with revenues. The various ministries are not inclined to seek public opinion on matters that they decide.

Anyone who doesn't think that is the case is probably skipping along with Alice in Fantasy-land.

Saint Paul...
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Serengeti National Park
Level Contributor
1,870 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Vehicle Reductions in Ngorongoro crater coming soon?

Not skipping along with Alice here, but I've received emails from TATO on numerous occasions telling us that TATO has indeed been asked by someone in the government for comment on their plans. We were, in fact asked for comment before the fee was raised to $200. Problem is, when they ask for comment, they usually give very little time for response.

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,485 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Vehicle Reductions in Ngorongoro crater coming soon?

Brian, and if this goes through TATO, do they actually get off their behinds and pass it on? My experience with the office staff there is not good and the director is only interested in self-promoting. Just MHO, but taken from experiences with him. He talks a good talk, but no action. TATO may have had this request in advance and sat on it. Obviously, I don't think highly of them in getting something done.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
731 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Vehicle Reductions in Ngorongoro crater coming soon?

It is an amazing place. And the last time I was in there a safari "van" speed past us (prob about 50-70 kms) to get to see a rhino. We ploddered along and when we got there.. there were about 13 cars! So we decided that we would move away form all the cars around the corner (so to speak) about 1km away.

As we pulled up. this D$#k&ead in this van pulled in front of us at hign speed and nearly took out the front of the 4x4.

My brother and i took phots of this and sent it off the the vans company with the date and time this happend.

Do you think we ever heard anything back from this company.. No!

After we moved off as we were in no mood to see this poor beautiful animal trying to suckle her young.. I lent out the window and gave him a full mouth serve in swahilli. My mum ask what I said and said.. it is something that you would of like to of said!

TATO, TANAPA, KENAPA, Con Serv and all the others should think about this problem, ASAP and not think about putting up a hidous park gate (it is not disney kids!) or trashing an old clock towner with your tacky big screen tv's that stoped working after 2.. yes 2 days!