We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

weekend side-trips from moshi?

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
6 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
weekend side-trips from moshi?

Hi everyone,

I'll be volunteering/working in Moshi for a month in May and I'd like to do some side trips on the weekends. I'll already be spending 2 weeks apart from this month climbing Mt Kilimanjaro as well as doing safaris in Serengeti, Ngorongoro and Manyara, so ideally I'd like something a bit different from these usual activities!

I can leave on Fridays and have to be back on Sunday evenings or Monday mornings, so these have to be short 2d1n or 3d2n trips. I like trekking and meeting local people and spending time with villages so I was thinking of going to the Pare Mountains or checking out some of the cultural activities around Arusha.

Any advice on these two ideas? Is it possible to squeeze them into weekends? And also, any other ideas on interesting/off-the-beaten-path side trips?

Any help would be much appreciated! Thanks a lot :D

African Scenic Safaris
Climbing Tours, Hiking & Camping Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Safaris
Nyange Adventures Ltd. -  Day Tours
Forests, Nature & Wildlife Areas, Parks, Bodies of Water, Safaris
Materuni Tours
Safaris, Day Trips, Cultural Tours, Multi-day Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours
Mto wa Mbu, null...
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: weekend side-trips from moshi?

There is cultural tourism programme in Mto wa Mbu which offers village walks, bush walks, rift valley hikes, and farming tour. They are located near Manyara National Park at a small town called Mto wa Mbu. Their office is at Red banana cafe, just at the center of town. In Arusha there are several cultural tourism also such as MULALA, TENGERU, ILKIDINGA, etc.

You can ask your tour operator or driver for more information on which cultural activities will be nice regarding your safari schedule. You can visit the website below that shows various cultural tourism programmes available in Tanzania.

www.tanzaniaculturaltourism.com/

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Ngorongoro Conservation Area
Level Contributor
12,485 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: weekend side-trips from moshi?

Several suggestions. Go to the Tanzania forum and look on the right side of the web page, you will see Top Questions about Tz, look at the 3rd questions down from the top, this link will take you to some cultural activities in many parts of Tz.

Get on a bus and go in-country, Pare mountains, Lushoto, Tanga, Bagamoyo, Same, and then further in-country places like Morogoro, Dodoma (the country's capital), Iringa (in the Highlands). All great places to just go and discover the people there, go to their bars, restaurants, schools, universities, churches, markets, etc. and you will begin to learn about the Tanzanian people. I wouldn't suggest Dar es Salaam as it is a very busy large city and what you would end up with is tourist things like you get in Arusha and Moshi. Buses are easy to ride there, inexpensive, and there are buses which will take you to anywhere in Tz. And you will be on the bus with Tanzanians, which makes for good conversations.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
6 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: weekend side-trips from moshi?

Hi, thanks a lot. How can I get to Mto wa Mbu from Moshi and how long does the journey take?

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
6 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: weekend side-trips from moshi?

Hi Karl, thanks for the suggestions. Are the buses frequent and easy to arrange? Can all those places that you suggested be visited within one weekend from Moshi? Also, do you think it's safe for one person to travel alone on these buses to these destinations without arranging a tour beforehand?

Thanks a lot!

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Ngorongoro Conservation Area
Level Contributor
12,485 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: weekend side-trips from moshi?

Buses typically operate very often. The further you will be going the earlier in the morning you will want to leave so that you get there with plenty of time to find a place to stay, etc. It is very safe on the bus. I travel on the bus very often. For example, if you wanted to go to Dodoma from Moshi, it would take about 8 or 9 hours so if you left early in the morning (about 7:00 - 8:00h you would get there in the middle of the afternoon.

Every town has a hotel where you can stay, and they are very inexpensive (once you get out of the tourist areas), for example, in Dodoma the most expensive hotel would be the Dodoma Hotel which is about $50 a night, but you can also stay at the Cana Lodge about 3 blocks away for $12 a night including breakfast. There are many, and in every town, for these kinds of prices. Most are very secure with guards which stay at the door all night long.

In my opinion this is the best way to learn about Tanzania, mix with the people outside the tourist areas, go to their markets, restaurants, bars, schools, churches, markets, etc. and you will find that they are very friendly and hospitable.

You don't need a tour to do this, just get on the bus, go there, ask at the bus station where there is a good hotel and they will tell you. Then just explore.

some who have done this have said it's their best experience in Tanzania.

6. Re: weekend side-trips from moshi?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, February 25, 2014