We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Temperatures at PNV

Regina, Canada
Level Contributor
1,364 posts
172 reviews
Save Topic
Temperatures at PNV

Hey all! I'm just wondering if anyone knows what the temperatures will be at PNV and the surrounding hotels in August. I get cold very easily and I've heard that it can be quite chilly at night and in the morning, and that most accomodations don't have heating, just fireplaces and water bottles so I'm just trying to figure out exactly how much cold weather gear I will actually need. So if I can get an idea of the highs and the low temperatures, that would be great!

Thank you very much! :)

Kitchener, Canada
Level Contributor
140 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Temperatures at PNV

Hi Hailee,

I am not so sure that your idea of cold and others will be the same. Being from Regina you will definitely know what cold is. I checked the average temps in Kigali during August and the lows were16 and highs 27 (that is the average.) I realize it will likely be cooler in the NP, but I would say no where near cold. It will likely feel damp which can feel cooler than the actual temp. Dress in layers and I think you should be fine.

Regina, Canada
Level Contributor
1,364 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Temperatures at PNV

LOL well, even coming from Canada, I'm the biggest wimp when it comes to cold. I know cold.. and then there's ridiculously cold, frigid, frostbite in less than a minute cold, but still, I really hate cold, haha!

16C sounds totally acceptable though.. our summer lows are quite a bit lower than that, but yeah, in the NP at altitude, it's supposed to be a LOT colder from what I've read.. I just don't know what "a lot colder" means.

And one reason I really need to know is I can't pack very much.. we fly to Tanzania following Rwanda and will be using Coastal a few times, and they limit your baggage weight to 15kg including your carry on bags, etc. o.O So trying to pack colder weather gear along with everything else might prove to be quite tricky.

Thank you for your response Izzy! I do appreciate it! :D

Kitchener, Canada
Level Contributor
140 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Temperatures at PNV

We did a safari in TZ a year ago last march. I understand your concern. We will be doing the Gorillas next Nov. and then back to Tanzania for some camping and some permanent tented camps. I can hardly wait. (Sorry I diverse) We managed with a fleece and a light coat (since we thought with rainy season we may need it). We also brought a rain poncho, the kind that squishes into a bag. We used the fleece every morning and a few mornings I also had my coat and it was needed. Definitely, if you layer you should be good. I wouldn't think you would need two fleece. We definitely over packed but were still in our limits for domestic flight throughout TZ.

Regina, Canada
Level Contributor
1,364 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Temperatures at PNV

Thank you Izzy! :) Will definately try to do that then. :) I was just thinking 2 fleece so that when one was being washed, I could wear the other one.

Obviously Tanzania made an impression on you.. going back a 2nd time! :D Are you going to do the gorillas in Uganda or Rwanda? I know what you mean.. am super excited myself! :D

Kitchener, Canada
Level Contributor
140 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Temperatures at PNV

Hailee,

I sent you a PM.

Singapore
Level Contributor
1,316 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Temperatures at PNV

I don't think you will need more than a fleece for day time, especially as trekking will warm you up fast. However, at night it got chilly for me (was there just yesterday, ie December), and the rooms at Mt Gorilla View are so big the puny fireplace did not really break the chill so consider bringing something warm for sleeping in. I think it got down to about 10 C last night. For daytime I wore a long sleeved cotton t-shirt, a very light windbreaker, quik dry pants and knee length socks and I was warm enough even at 7 am waiting for the briefing. And being from Singapore I am the wimpiest of wimps!

Regina, Canada
Level Contributor
1,364 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Temperatures at PNV

Thank you BornVivant!! That is very helpful! I imagine then that in August it will be cooler still when we are there. Too bad the fireplaces weren't much larger lol. We will also be staying at Mountain Gorilla view lodge. :)

8. Re: Temperatures at PNV

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 pm, July 05, 2015