We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kano was named after a blacksmith

Abuja
3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Kano was named after a blacksmith

Kano one of the most ancient cities in Africa, and the second largest commercial city in Nigeria after Lagos is the home of the Hausas. History of Kano started over 1000 years ago with the Dala Hill. A conical inselberg whose early settlers were called Maguzawa.

Kano was named after a black smith who left his town Gaya about 120 kilometres from the present Kano, in search of iron ore. And his search took him to Dala hill where he found it in abundance at its foot. He settled there. His family later joined him and thereafter more people migrated to the live with Kano. Due to the abundance of raw materials and fertile land for farming the place grew rapidly into a settlement. Thus the place assumed his name and he became their leader.

Hundred of years later Barbushe a descendant of Kano became tboth the spiritual and political leader of the maguzawa. Legend has it that he was huge in structure and frame; he was so strong that when he killed Elephant in a hunting expedition, he carried it home on his shoulders. He and his people were pagans; they worshipped Tsumburbura a fetish whose shrine was on the top of the Dala. Barbushe was also the chief priest of the shrine. Every year his people assembled at the foot of the hill to receive sermon and predictions for the on coming year. And it was said that he predicted the coming of Islam to Kano and the destruction of the shrine and pagan practices. And not quite long after that event, Islam came to Kano. This put an end to all pagan practices and the formal system of government or sarauta established with sarki or king as the paramount ruler. The beginning of Kano’s civilization. Today visitors can climb Dala hill from there you will have a magnificent view of old Kano. Especially if you wake up early and watch the sunrise over Kano city. It is unforgettable view.

lagos
2 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Kano was named after a blacksmith

mallam,

that was a very educating piece u sent in and i must confess i found it very insighting. i lived in kano for over four years and i can not agree less with ur position about the people, culture and values of these extremely hospitable folks of northern nigeria.

on sharia and hospitality, i agree with u too that it has been aboost rather than an impedement. i look forward to reading more of such materails on tripadvisor.

i also would like u to know i'll be making use of ur materials in my work as a journalist with the sun newspapers, of course with appropriate credit.

ma sallam.

dre, lagos.

2. Re: Kano was named after a blacksmith

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline requiring that all messages be written in English. It is not possible for the forum staff to provide translations. Foreign language comments exclude many readers from obtaining what may be pertinent information, which defeats the purpose of an open forum.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 pm, March 26, 2007
3. Re: Kano was named after a blacksmith

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:16 pm, August 15, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Kano
More Kano Topics