We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Message for Mokey

Southampton,UK
Level Contributor
148 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Message for Mokey

Hi

Glad you had a great holiday.

Just a couple of questions if you don't mind

a) How were Monarch, did you upgrade?

b) forty thieves and ali babas, how far are they from southern palms and do you know if they are worth the visit?

Many thanks

Nick

UK
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Message for Mokey

Hi Slick.

Me and my partner ugraded with Monarch last year. It cost £400. It was worth EVERY PENNY. 9 hours on a plane is bad enough as it is. When your a 6ft 3 15st rugby player every bit of extra room is a god send. The staff were excellent, they really couldnt do enough for us. We will be upgrading again this year as we are returning to the southern palms in sept. They threw food and drink at us all the way, bein close to the toilet, free booze and own telly really helps the time fly.

Lancashire
Level Contributor
37 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Message for Mokey

Slicknick

Just in case nobody else answers you - Ali Barbour's and Forty Thieves are a five-minute drive from Southern Palms - maybe too far to walk at night - they send a cab free anyway.

Restaurant is good and reasonably priced and makes a nice change from the hotel (try the Kilifi oysters).

The bar - if it's the right time of day, in the low-slung settees fixed in the sand on the edge of the beach, is the most chilled place in the world... get there and take it all in before it gets taken over by whingeing Brits!

Enjoy

Southampton,UK
Level Contributor
148 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Message for Mokey

Thanks Bosh & Mambo

We were lucky, booked premium seat late, got them for £100 each.

Mambo, forty thieves sounds cool, what is the best time of day?

Cheers

Nick

Lancashire
Level Contributor
37 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Message for Mokey

Just when the sun's going down and you can place your bare feet in the sand and gaze out over the Indian Ocean... sometimes it gets very busy and sometimes there are a number of, well shall we say more mature German ladies who go for brief "walks" along the beach with some of the localsm, but that's as wild as it gets I'm afraid... and Ilike it that way. If you want to go into a bar in Ukunda, be smart, but try Masai Bureau or German beer/sports Garden... sounds naff but not used by tourists, bit different, ask for Joseph, he's the owner... nice guy.

England
Level Contributor
104 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Message for Mokey

Hi slick nick Mokey here, we went to forty thieves and ali babas and had the most amazing meal at ali babas, service and food were amazing, I have never felt so stuffed with food for a long time, we had excellent food especially the steaks. Just be careful if you are paying by credit card, we took cash and it cost us 5600 kenyan shillings it is not cheap but well worth going. There was a posting earlier on that someone had paid by credit card and there card was copied and used in Kenya for the sum of £3000 and he only found out when he got home,but we found paying by cash is best. It is quite warm in the restaurant but they have fans on all the walls.

We went to the forty thieves bar on a Sunday afternoon and it was great but if you stand in the bar facing the sea walk down the beach to the right for about 10mins and you will come to a hotel that had a major fire and is derelict now but there is a beach bar at the front of the hotel what serves drinks, they also have a boxing ring and a stage where local bands go on a Sunday afternoon and just sing all kinds of music. There are tables to sit around and enjoy the fantastic music and drink. It is a Sunday afternoon outing for the locals and their families and some Sundays a man call KIM4LOVE sings, he is the spitting image of Woopie Goldberg with the dreadlocks and he has the most amazing voice, sings all kinds of music, African, Reggae, pop and sings it exceptionally well. You can buy his CD and he will sign it for you. You will have the best time there and the locals are so friendly.

You will see the older ladies (40, 50 years and older with the young local boys of 16, 17. 18 and a bit older, it is so funny watching them.

The beach here is beautiful. You can park at this hotel but I can't remember the name, it is about 5 mins further along the road than Ali babas and there are monkeys all around. You do need a car but it is worth it and hire a taxi to take and pick you up. Just be aware of your surroundings and don't go over the top with jewelry and don't take loads of money and credit cards with you. Remember you are in a different poor country and these people do not have loads of money.

We went here with a man who was born in Mombassa and lives in Glasgow with his English wife and he was a personal trainer in a gym so he was very well built and nobody would dare to mess with us with him there, but I did see European couples on their own there. This was the best afternoon we had all holiday.

Hope this helps.

Mokey

Southampton,UK
Level Contributor
148 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Message for Mokey

Thanks everyone

So it would be ok to walk the beach during the day to get to forty thieves?

If so how long? Oh and wht way, north or south.

Obviously at nite time we would be able to get a taxi back

Thanks

Nick

plymouth england
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
5,880 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Message for Mokey

Oh! mokey!

40? 50? OLD? young boys 16 18 +

Where? what time ? how much?

if I take a pension book would I get a 10o/o discount?

All joking aside, it is quite funny I agree

did your meal include drinks if so that was a good price

Lancashire
Level Contributor
37 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Message for Mokey

Slick

no problem at all walking during the day either via beach or road... just a bit of hassle from those trying to make a dollar by selling you stuff, that's all.

Southampton,UK
Level Contributor
148 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Message for Mokey

Thanks Mambo

Did a bit of research, walk south from southern palms i guess.

Mokey, the other bar by the fire damaged hotel? Is that the 'Two Fishes' hotel?

Thanks

Nick

Southampton,UK
Level Contributor
148 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Message for Mokey

Just athought, Is there anywhere likely to be showing england game on the 10th June

Nick