We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help with choosing a hotel - snorkelling from the beach

Which Ukunda hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London
Level Contributor
3 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Help with choosing a hotel - snorkelling from the beach

Hello

We're planning to fly to Mombassa in October and need to find a hotel which has good snorkelling from the beach. My boyfriend gets seasick even on the calmest seas so we can't do any trips but really love snorkelling.

We'd ideally like to be able to do some walks from the hotel as well but not sure if that's asking to much!

I've spent hours researching but I can't seem to find a good snorkelling hotel! Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Thank you

Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
3,913 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help with choosing a hotel - snorkelling from the beach

Watamu beach is best spot for snorkelling since it's a "Marine National Park". Also a great location for trekking to Mida Creek, Dongo Kundu Village, Sokoke Reserve. Have a look at map of Watamu.

workingabroad.com/page/181/watamu-turtles-de…

Unfortunately, Watamu is approx 100 Kms from MBA.

If you don't want to travel to far from MBA - Bamburi, Nyali & Shanzu are also suitable for snorkelling.

PM me if you want to know accommodation options in Watamu.

Edited: 2:08 am, September 27, 2011
Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
Level Contributor
15,214 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help with choosing a hotel - snorkelling from the beach

Sorry there is not much snorkelling off the beach at Bamburi, Nyali and Shanzu because the reef that runs the entire length of the Kenyan Coast is only about half a mile off shore. The area inside the reef tends to be very tidal, there is a great distance between high and low tide marks, as the area between tends to be fairly gently shelved. There is good snorkelling on the reef, which is close by but it means you have to get a small boat out to it. Large areas of the reef at Bamburi and Nyali are also Marine Reserves and you need a ticket to go there.

Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
3,913 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help with choosing a hotel - snorkelling from the beach

Forgot to mention that you would need to take a boat to go a section of beach where you can snorkel. Plenty of boat rides (incl glass boats) available from beach boys.

Don't let this put you off, it's a very short ride on fairly safe & shallow waters.

Park fees around $15.00

Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
3,913 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help with choosing a hotel - snorkelling from the beach

Where are you planning on staying - Diani or Mombasa ?

London
Level Contributor
3 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help with choosing a hotel - snorkelling from the beach

Thanks very much for your responses. We were initially thinking of Diani but not sure how far that is from the airport. Snorkelling hotel more important I think so fairly open about area.

Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
3,913 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help with choosing a hotel - snorkelling from the beach

You'd have to take ferry to go to Diani which is further down south.

Have a look at link of Google Earth snapshot of "Nyali", "Bamburi" & "Shanzu" beaches in MBA. You can see that it's not far from MBA mainland.

imageshack.us/photo/my-images/94/mbac.jpg/

A decent beach front hotel rates in any of these locations is the range of GBP 70.00 - 100.00.

Edited: 4:11 am, September 27, 2011
Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
15,214 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help with choosing a hotel - snorkelling from the beach

Hi,

Diani beach is around 24 or 25 miles from the airport, Nyali is about 10 or 11, Bamburi 12 0r 13 and Shanzu around 15 miles from the airport . You have to go onto Mombasa Island to get to any of them, between the island and the North Coast is a bridge, between the island and the South Coast is the ferry

BTW Mombasa Town is on an island, not the mainland

London
Level Contributor
3 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help with choosing a hotel - snorkelling from the beach

Thank you. Are there ay good beach hotels in Diani which you can snorkel right off or do you have to get a boat out?

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
15,214 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help with choosing a hotel - snorkelling from the beach

Hi,

I don't know much about the South Coast but there are lots of forum members who do. I believe you can swim out to the reef there, though it is a very long swim, or again take a short boat ride. Most regulars view the forums at the Kenya level, which means you can see all the posts on all the sub-forums on one page so they will probably see your post, but if you want to make sure, you can post the specific question on the Diani forum.

PS The beaches are better on the South Coast

Edited: 5:09 am, September 27, 2011
Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
19 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Help with choosing a hotel - snorkelling from the beach

I would say the best hotel to snorkel near the beach is Hemingways in Watamu. Have snorkeled there a few times considering my fear of deep seas!!!