We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help any divers out there?

Buckingham, United...
Level Contributor
464 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Help any divers out there?

I am thinking of going back in September with a few friends and couple of them are divers, I am torn between returning to the Southern Palms or trying the north thinking of the Voyager, can anyone shed any light on the diving aspect please? also the beaches and surroundings, heard there is a good marine somewhere on the north coast.

We will be doing 2 day safari to Tsavo this time but spending more time at the resort.

Oranje Safari
Safaris, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Private Tours, Multi-day Tours
Tanke Tours
Nature & Wildlife Tours, Private Tours, Safaris
Vumbi Jeep Safaris
Safaris, Boat Tours, Multi-day Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, 4WD, ATV & Off-Road Tours
Bedfordshire England
Level Contributor
174 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help any divers out there?

Nicki50, Voyager wold be an excelent choice for your diving friends because there is an excellent 5 star PADI diving centre there. They do all sorts of dives from there including the main wreck in the area, MV Dania, go looking for Whale Sharks and have a wide range of dives around the reef. Their web site is:http://www.buccaneerdiving.com/

I have been with them many times from Whitesands where they also have a small sub-site from where they will either pick you up in the boat, or drive you to Voyager if that is better and I can recomend them.

Buckingham, United...
Level Contributor
464 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help any divers out there?

Thanks for this, can the non divers go out on the boat also with the divers at all? also want to do Tsavo west and east who is the best to book with? and is it best to book here or over there when we get there?

Bedfordshire England
Level Contributor
174 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help any divers out there?

I am pretty certain that they will not take non-divers out. And to be honest, I wouldn't think they would enjoy bobbing about for an hour or so with nothing to see but the sea. You would be much better trying to get a run in one of the glass bottom boats. Most will do mixed snorkelling/bubble watching trips and they would be much more enjoyable.

No sure about those boats at Voyager, but someone else might be able to help. There are some that work off Whitesands and Travellers.

As to the safari, it is a choice between booking when you are there and taking a chance with the locals. Booking with a tour company here is more expensive, but marginally more reliable. However, there do seem to be a number of people who swear by the local guys. The main thing to be careful of here is to make sure that the posters who recommend local trips are real. Personally, I would steer clear of any posters who don't use reasonable English when they post and who only have a few posts on the site.

The Tsavos are fine for two or three days, but if you want a short trip, you could always try Shimba Hills. Much closer and still a number of animals to see.

Edited: 1:12 pm, January 28, 2011
leics
Level Contributor
431 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Help any divers out there?

I know (& dived with in Egypt) a couple who used to work with Buccaneer - they highly recommended them to me when we went to Kanya, but we were staying too far away.

5. Re: Help any divers out there?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, February 01, 2012